In Need of Ideas

In this discussion
Replies
Views
gutenberg
This week I actually Got a new Box of wafers from Hollister and a couple of barrier rings. Now, what the hell to do with the rings. I think I remember people saying they can use the rings on either side of the wafer. The hole in the wafer is 3/4 and my wafers are 1 1/8. I think I can get away with +_ 1''. I really could use some input on how best to use these rings. Thanks. Ed
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,091 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Are you referring to the "Eakin" type rings? If so, they go directly on the skin around the stoma... Stretch it just a bit... So it still has to stretch slightly to go over the stoma... Then apply the flange as you would normally. Clean, shave, and skin prep the area first... They should increase your wear time and provide a stronger, more leak-proof seal. PM me if you have troubles...

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
TexasGirl
Hi Ed. When I use a pouch, I use an Adapt barrier ring to add convexity to my pouch. I use a one-piece flexible pouch and after I cut my hole in the piece that goes around the stoma, I peel off the backside of the ring and stretch it to fit the backside of my pouch where I have made my opening. The ring opening on the barrier ring and the opening on your pouch should be the same. You will then stick it on the pouch and you've got it. In my case, I add a ring of stomahesive paste around that opening too. Hopefully, this will be of some help to you. It really works well for me. Debi
gutenberg
Thanks for the replies guys/girls. OK I'm at this point, when I put on a new wafer I bring it up to the bottom of my stoma and I'm left with a small opening around the top of the wafer, no more than 1/8'' (inch) but with an iliostomy that's all it needs to get under the wafer so I am thinking if I could stretch the Adapt Flat Barrier Ring to ,say, 1'' and my wafer at 1 1/8 and center it over the ring, shouldn't that work?
SO, Now, can you stretch the hole in the barrier ring with the paper still on, I'm thinking doing so without the paper wouldn't my hands interfere with the adhesive on the barrier ring, even clean hands?
Thanks for baring with me guys.
TexasGirl

Ed, I think you may just have to work with it to see if the 1" and 1 1/8" will work together. It's such a small difference, I think it will be okay. As far as the ring, just remove the paper from the back side and stretch it with the clear top paper still on. Anyway, that's what I do and it works for me. The barrier ring adheres directly to my skin around the stoma. I'll be glad to answer any questions you might have pertaining to this. Debi

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
weewee

I use the Ekin seals and I have to cut mine. Plus, I have the spray that Hollister has also, which helps me. The spray is like a glue and works great. The spray is called Medical Adhesive, stock number 7730.

eddie

Hi, I have an ileo also. I was taught to stretch the rings to fit directly around the stoma, then put your cut barrier device over the ring. This works best for me.

Eddie

gutenberg
To all who helped in explaining the ins and outs of the adapt rings, it was a messy first try but I can see already how this will change my life for the better. Where else could one find out the info we really need. All my best to all of you. Ed
gutenberg
A good day to you all folks, besides the welcomed replies I received on the Forum I found a couple from a dear lady who told me how she handled the Adapt Rings which made it so easy I thought I would share it. Before putting the ring on it has to be stretched naturally, but if you use a hair dryer, on low for about thirty seconds, the ring becomes so much easier to mold around the stoma. This worked so well i left the wafer on for six days, just changed the pouch a couple of times, and nary a leak. And I was getting so good at using the washer and dryer, another chore I wont miss. Thanks Barb. Ed
The Bag

If it's not too late to help, here's my method of madness.
Instead of using that cement glue, once air hits it, use the adapt rings.
I take the putty, rip off a chunk, roll it till it's about an inch long. Thickness-wise, it might be an eighth or so. I put two of these on, one at 3 o'clock and one at 9 o'clock, then fill in with the same putty. Now, of course, the two that fill in the gaps are longer but same thickness. I hope this makes sense? My homecare nurse turned me on to this, and I've stayed with it for just about a year. I can go 5 - 7 days with confidence. I swear by those adapt seals.
Just goes to show for folks like us that what is good for one might not be for another. Trial and error. OSTOMATES RULE!!