Seeking Advice on Short Bowel Management, Odor Control, Exercise, and Diet

Replies
Views
Jia

Hi, I just wanted to find out if there are members on this site who have a short bowel after surgery. I would like to find out if there are any members with this stoma as I have questions such as:

1. Management of odor - how they manage it when they have to empty the bags multiple times a day. Are there any other ways of masking the odor that have not been mentioned on the blogs? Since being on this website, I am getting a lot of very useful information in regards to odor control, though I am still interested to hear about what works and what doesn't.

2. I want to find out about exercise and what the limits are. Obviously, people with stomas won't be doing weights (heavy weights) for obvious reasons. I just want to find out what members are doing in regards to fitness and weight control. This brings me to another issue: diet.

3. Diet - I am finding it hard to control what I eat. I try to control my appetite but find that this is a struggle, hence my current weight of 104 kgs. I was originally 65 kgs.

Bettyjoe

Hello. In terms of the odor, because I pour water directly into the pouch from the bottom opening, I really don't have to deal with odor, at least not for a long period of time. Once I wash all of the stuff out, I pour a couple of drops of deodorizer. It is really easy. This method has helped me to adapt. I tried Tai Chi; it is a really strength-based model of exercising and in terms of diet. The more time I have with my colostomy, the more I realize that I just have to be careful. I am actually trying to gain several pounds. Good luck! I am just three months after my surgery, and the more experienced members here and on other sites have helped me to get through this new normal.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,501 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Jia

Hi Bettyjoe, thank you for your email and thank you for your information. It is only recently that I have joined and regularly come on this site. I have only ever seen a stoma nurse on 2 occasions. I am thankful for all the tips which have been very helpful.

Thank you.

Jia.

weewee

Hello Jia.

I have 9 inches of my large colon left. This is my 3rd surgery since January 2009. I can say that if you are like me and don't take all the drugs (over the counter/fiber), then you will dump more often. But I do manage what I eat, and it helps when I am out doing things. So, if I know I am going out with friends early in the morning, I don't eat until I know I am going home. Then I will eat a big meal and deal with emptying at home.

If I am out for really long hours, I will eat very small just for energy and drink a lot of fluids that will curb me from being hungry. So, with me, milk, eggs, ham, turkey, chicken, wheat bread, spicy foods, seafood, fish - all these make me fill the bag and fast or have lots of gas. So, I avoid them until close to the end of me running around or if I am driving for hours on a trip. So, I have protein bars that are high in protein, and I snack on them and don't have to poo with them as fast. But really, each person is different, so you have to eat one thing at a time to see how your body will react, and you will know what will make you go and what will stay in without filling the bag. Just remember, everyone is different, and what works for one might not work for someone else. Hope you have a good 4th.

Jia

Hi there, thank you for your email. I appreciate your information. I have only recently been able to talk about my condition, and it is amazing all the information I am finding out, as well as the many tips I get from this site. I am grateful for your information regarding what you do when you leave the house; this is the exact same thing that I do. It took me almost 2 years before I was able to leave the comfort of my home for more than 20 minutes. I was very conscious to even go to the doctor's surgery. I have arrived now in a good place, and I feel secure when leaving home. Thank you again for your email. All the best.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Firefly

This is a comment about "To Tell or Not to Tell". Can't find that site so I'll just have to post here. I am 97 years young and have gone through this long life not bringing up the topic of my stoma. This was not a decision as much as going with the flow and not bringing it up. Neither good nor bad... just normal. Works for me.
Awesome site. Love all the contributors and their pithy comments.