Hernia and Ostomy: Reversal and Hernia Repair - What to Expect?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
skylar

The 28th I go for a consultation, don't know what to expect. I have developed a hernia where my stoma is, and the hernia is large. I'm due for a reversal. Can anyone tell me what might happen? Will they do both at once? I'm so afraid.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,099 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

mild_mannered_super_hero

I had a hernia repaired 2 years ago and my stoma relocated. It wasn't too big a deal, but expect to be in the hospital for a few days and be very careful about any physical stuff until you are healed up. Better allow about 6 months until you can lift anything over a few pounds. I have no idea about the reversal. Good luck.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Scottie

Saw your message regarding ostomy reversal and hernia situation. It sounds like I have the same issue. Was yours a colostomy? I have a colostomy which shortly afterwards had the addition of a very large hernia beneath it (size of a large grapefruit!) This happened over a year ago and I am still waiting (on waiting list for reversal and reduction of hernia).

Furthermore, I do not think I would even have that hernia if the hospital/nurses/doc would have advised me re lifting and perhaps given me a binder to contain the abdominal area. My hernia developed from a simple cough or sneeze at night, while sleeping.

I also am very afraid of what will go on. I went to the surgeon with a list of questions written out - - one of the most interesting to me - - What will you do if something goes wrong? - - he said he would call over to another hospital/surgeon for advice. I am thinking of going to that 'other hospital' for a 2nd opinion.

I am on a waiting list as so many other surgeries for cancer come first and long lineups in Canada due to so many people coming into the country who are ill and immigrate for healthcare reasons!!

I would appreciate you updating me on what happens at your consult just for info. Knowledge is power!!

skylar

I thank you for your advice on the lifting, thank you for the reply.

skylar

OMG, it's been that long? I do believe mine came from coughing and maybe a little heavy lifting, but very little. March 15, I go for repairs. The surgeon wants to fix the hernia and switch the colon to an ileostomy and not reconnect me for 3 more months. He is worried it might leak if he connects me. I have watched videos and don't understand why he can't. I am going to UCSF Medical Center. It's supposed to be one of the best. He is a teaching surgeon, so why can't he do this? I will beg him Tuesday morning like I have never begged before. Please say a prayer and fingers crossed. Keep you posted.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
mild_mannered_super_hero

Good luck with your OP and keep us posted on your recovery process. I will add that I went to 4 surgeons until I found one I was comfortable with.... Don't settle.

skylar

I will keep you all posted. Day after tomorrow, I am a nervous wreck.

skylar

Believe it or not, I just got out of the hospital on July 2nd, 3 friggin months!!! Hernia repairs, messed up intestines just to name a few, but no reversal. Seems I had a leak and things didn't go as planned, no more colon now I have an ilio. On August 21st, back to SF to see what he says about reconnecting. A little afraid to go back in when the time comes. Hope you all are doing fine and thank you for listening.