Thoughts before and after surgery!

Replies
Views
Angelicamarie

i had chronic diarreah for one year and a half and all the meds my doc put me on didn't help so he sent me to see another gi doc who said he could get rid of diareah, didn't happen well my gi doc called my neurologist to see if he would give more of my migraine medicine because it slowed my diareah up. The neurologist did so, the only thing was I couldn't drive and I had a feeling of euphoria. So my husband would take me to the doctor in which we made the appts on his off days. I was going so much and my backside was sore and what helped initially didn't help anymore. So I went back to my gi and asked him to refer me to the surgeon. I went to see the surgeon,she knew I really didn't want to have the surgery so she said would you like me to see what I can do, I said yes. Well I finally just said I can't take this anymore my surgery was scheduled 21aug2015. After waking I saw this bag which was alien to me. I was to be in the hospital for three days , there was a nurse name terry who taught me how to clean change the barrier and bag. I was scared to go home. I slept a lot I'm sure it was depression . I didn't want to live , but it would have killed my parents and then I thought if I do this I won't see my son again or my love ones . So I had to change my attitude, I had to live it was to easy to kill myself, so I had to live there are so many people with incurable diseases and they are happy to still be here. And sometimes I still have sad days but I think about the ones worst than me. I'm still here with the bag and all. Angelicamarie

Past Member

Angelica Marie,

Cudos for your courage and determination to not let this control your life.

My colon cancer was detected by colonoscopy. I went in to be tattooed for my radiation therapy.

While I was there, I walked by the waiting line for the Chemo Therapy patients.

I'm sure you've seen the death camp videos...that's what they looked like.

I elected for colostomy surgery, without chemo and radiation.

That was 8 years ago this Christmas.

You can and will adapt to this new challenge. For me the options were death or surgery.

Sounds dramatic, but it's true. The very fact you are living, writing on these posts,

proves you have already chosen life.

As for the pouch, it is manageable, at times annoying but, medicine and technology move forward daily.

I'll be sure to think of you at Thanksgiving and Christmas. The holidays make it all worth while.

Best regards,

Art in Ohio

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,362 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Angelicamarie

Thanks scooter trash for responding, I kind of felt like I was the only one that felt that way. You take care and have A good evening!!! Hope your holidays are well spent with family. Take care angelicamarie.