Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates Support | Friendship | Relationships 21,6K + members

Workout Junkies

Have a Question? SIGN UP to get a quick answer.
Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:46 pm

What do extremely athletic people do to keep their ostomy wafer on when they are working out?

Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:25 pm

pull your leggings or yoga pants over your appliance.  i worked out with colostomy with no problem at all

Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:23 pm

I'm the last person to pontificate about working out (I tried it once about 15 years ago!), but I would have thought the most important thing would be to avoid getting a hernia!

I found this site offers helpful advice, although I draw the line at the T shirts....

http://www.stomaatje.com/index.html

Living in France, the French version helps me with bits of technical vocab you just don't get in the average conversation class!                                                                                 Chris

Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:44 pm

I think that's a great question!  I would also like to know what abdominal exercises are best for those of us with ostomies.  I've lost the weight recently, but not the gut!

Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:17 am

I wear a support belt which I purchased through the ostomy association in Australia.  This is helpful in a gym environment.   I agree with ChrisP to avoid straining the abdominal area around the stoma as this can cause a parastomal hernia..      

To answer the question about keeping the wafer on during extreme exercise,   I havent had a problem with my Coloplast alterna base.   I go surfing with a very supportive pair of board shorts which put pressure on the wafer.   The wafer can last me a few days of surfing etc.

It all depends on how well your base(wafer) fits to your skin.  

Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:02 am

I have always used a support belt, even when not exercising. But I have run and lifted and never had any issues.

I also use Coloplast's elasticized seals around the disk that gives some added support.

Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:36 am

Thank you for replying. I wqr legging and my unitards. What brend of applinance do you where?  Yesterday I used from cymed. They work great. I  worked out for 3 hours and it was perfect. If you into working out get a sample from then.

Where in New York do you live?

Pray for Peace

Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:11 pm
Before 3-5 hour bike rides, I make sure to put on a new bag and use a healthy amount of waterproof Hy-tape...
Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:28 pm

Stealthbelt all the way and sensura mio convex coloplast bags, works a treat for everything. Never had a problem with them. Wild swimming, gym, climbing, hiking, skating. -some people are allergic to that appliance though 

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.