Newbie finds alternative method for stoma shape!

Replies
Views
Ninny

I'm a newbie with a colostomy due to diverticulitis. I've found templates provided inadequate for my use due to the oval shape of my stoma. I found using a wire tie (usually used around electrical cords to keep them contained) to mold around the stoma, then trace onto the wafer, has worked for me.

Ninny

Xerxes

Rather ingenious!

X_

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,456 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Ninny

Thanks!

Penguins7

That is a great idea to use a wire to measure stoma. I have always wondered why the medical community did not have a measuring device to give an accurate template of the stoma dimensions; while allowing enough space so the wafer is not too tight around the stoma.

My stoma is oval also, so I have to cut the wafers with medical scissors and it is a pain. I'm currently looking into some type of cutting device that would duplicate my template each time. Stay well! Penguins7

Ninny

Thanks Penguins 7! My husband and I just moved from Traverse City, MI to Arvada, CO in November of 2017. Kind of scary to have such a major medical occurrence so soon after our move, but I was lucky to find a surgeon with such a good reputation here during my initial hospitalization for IV antibiotics. Medical insurance works differently here than in MI, but so far has worked well.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
kbd

I imagine most stomas are not perfectly round. I never measure since I know roughly the size. I 'guestimate' every time I cut and depend upon my barrier ring to make up the difference. Barrier rings are a godsend.

mamatembo

At 78 years old and, like you, I found it difficult cutting the skin barrier/wafer with scissors. I gave my son the template of size I needed and he quickly cut the correct stoma sizes out in a box full of wafers with a pen-sized X-acto knife very easily. They are sharp though, so you need to keep them away from children. Also, some ostomy companies have pre-cut wafers you can purchase.

Mrs.A

I use cuticle scissors as they have a slight curve to them, making it easier to maneuver them in the circular shape.