Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates Support | Friendship | Dating 20,353 members

Measuring stoma

Posted by Ninny, on Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:44 am

I'm a newbie with a colostomy due to diverticulitis. I've found templates provided inadequate for my use due to the oval shape of my stoma. I found using a wire tie ( Usually used around electrical cords to keep them contained) to mold around stoma then trace onto wafer has worked for me.

Ninny

Reply by Xerxes, on Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:42 pm

Rather ingenious!

X_

Reply by Ninny, on Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:05 am

Thanks!

Reply by Penguins7, on Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:30 pm

That is a great idea to use a wire to measeure stoma.  I have always wondered why the medical community did not have a measuring device to give an accurate template of the stoma dimensions while allowing enough space so the wafer is not to tight around stoma.

My stoma is oval also so I have to cut the wafers with medical scissors and it is a pain.  I'm currently looking into some type of cutting device that would duplicate my template each time.  Stay well!  Penguins7 

Reply by Ninny, on Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:25 am
Thanks Penguins 7! My Husband and I just moved from Traverse City, Mi to Arvada, CO. in November of 2017. Kind of scary to have such a major medical occurence so soon after our move, But I was lucky to find a surgeon with such a good reputation here during my initial hospitalization for IV antibiotics. Medical insurance works differently here than in MI, but so far has worked well.
kbd
Reply by kbd, on Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:38 pm

I imagine most stomas are not perfectly round. I never measure since I know roughly the size. I 'guestimate' every time I cut and depend upon my barrier ring to make up the difference.  Barrier rings are a godsend.

Reply by mamatembo, on Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:00 am

At 78 years old and. like you, I found it difficult cutting the skin barrier/wafer with scissors. I gave my son the template of size I needed and he quickly cut the correct stoma sizes out in a box full of wafers with a pen-sized X-acto knife very easily. They are sharp though so you need to keep them away from children. Also, some ostomy companies have pre-cut wafers you can purchase.

Reply by Mrs.A, on Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:45 pm

I use cuticle sissors as they have a slight curve to them making it easier to manuver them in the circular shape.

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.