Need Replacement for Arglaes Antimicrobial Powder - Any Suggestions?

Replies
Views
PatinPickering

Sometime ago I had a massive issue under my ostomy flange wherein the skin oozed to the extent that the flange could not stay on. Originally, we assumed that I was once again having an allergic reaction to the flange's adhesive. I managed to find a savior, an ET nurse who came to our house. Sitting in our washroom across from me, she stated: "You have a yeast infection." She recommended Arglaes antimicrobial powder; dusted the area; installed the replacement flange successfully. I have not had a recurrence for years until the other day.

Now, the Shoppers Home Health Care cannot find the product. It is from Medline. I visited another local ostomy supply shop who informed me that it should be available shortly but apparently not from Medline. I have pinged Theresa Henderson (Partners in Community Nursing ... www.picn.ca ; the "savior from above) to see if she has a suggestion.

A friend who runs a nursing home suggests I use Canesten (designed for vaginal yeast infections) but the cream could not work when the flange is applied (it wouldn't stick). Has anyone with a yeast infection on their peristomal skin tried taking a Canesten pill?

Any suggestions: about replacement antimicrobial powder? other products? any viable alternative?

Thanks in advance!

vdahl

I use "Phytoplex Antifungal Powder", also from Medline for the same reason. It was prescribed while in the hospital to be used to prevent yeast infection around the stoma. Not sure this could be an option for you... certainly hope you are able to find relief.

Thanks, Vicki

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,358 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

PatinPickering

Vicki, I have taken note of your suggestion ("Phytoplex Antifungal Powder") and have informed the local supplier to see if it's available in Canada (I see you're in Washington).

Thanks for your quick response. I had also connected with Hollister and Convatec to see if they had any suggestions.

By way of update, I reluctantly changed my appliance this morning ("reluctantly" because it's only been 3 or 4 days). The experience was interesting: the affected area was diminished by more than half; I cleaned the area diligently with hydrogen peroxide*; dried carefully; reapplied the Arglaes powder; and placed the new flange on. It's been about 6 hours and it almost feels normal.

* Hydrogen peroxide is antimicrobial according to WebMD, so, I was generous with the application.

I'll get back on top of the research tomorrow. In the interim, hopefully, the wave of emails yields an answer this week (as I'm not sure how much is left in my last bottle of Arglaes).

Once again, thanks!

Lakelover8

Hello

I had a similar problem when I first came home from the hospital; my skin was swollen, red, and itchy. My home health nurse figured out that it was a yeast infection and I was prescribed Nystop (Nystatin powder) by Perrigo by my surgeon. It also comes in an ointment. Another prescription that clears up the infection fast is Fluconazole.

Good luck!

PatinPickering

Thanks Lakelover8, I will add this to my list of topics as I finish my research. I have a friend who is a doctor and she offered to take what I'd researched to work with her today.

On the Fluconazole topic, I had that come up when I was discussing this with my pharmacist last week. (Generic name is Diflucan) Then, today, I see that there is a Fluconazole powder as well.

I might put this all into a fax for my GP (to permit time to research) then make an appointment.

In any event, thanks for your help!

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Anoniem18

Check MedicalMega.com:

Arglaes Powder 5 Gram Bottle
Manufacturer: Medline Industries Sold By: Each Item Number: MSC9205

Arglaes Powder 2 Gram Bottle
Manufacturer: Medline Industries Sold By: Each Item Number: MSC9202

No price given, I've dealt with Medicalmega before and had no problems with them, unfortunately shipping may make their pricing barely competitive, but I haven't bought from them for a number of years.

Hopefully this solves your problem.

Ed Maste

PatinPickering

Thanks, Ed. I'm trying to get Shoopers Home Health or The Medical Supply Store (Pickering) to connect with the supplier. I've just emailed the link to them.

Regards,

Bryce

You can try Ontario Ostomy Supplies or Starkman's. Canadian Medical Supplies are a good online shop.

PatinPickering

Thanks, Bryce. I just reviewed those sites, but there doesn't appear to be any antimicrobial powders and no mention of Arglaes. I'll continue my search.

Interestingly, I got a response from Hollister: "I have recently learned that Medline will continue to distribute Arglaes powder under the name of AG Powder...".

I have forwarded this to the people with whom I've been communicating, so if there's a supplier identified, I'll pass it along to the forum.

PatinPickering

sassie

You can find these powders on eBay, but how do you get the wafers to stick with powder under it?

PatinPickering

Hi Sassie. Thanks for the suggestion. I just searched, "Arglaes antimicrobial powder" on eBay but came up with anything but antimicrobial (i.e. mostly fish or foot powders but not the Medline powder). This could be a result of the US barrier to international searches. I'm guessing that the manufacturer (Medline) has some issue with international sales.

I'm due to reconnect with some suppliers here and will post what transpires.

Sassie, you asked a question about how the flanges stick: that's the beauty in the Arglaes powder as my skin was a raging inferno onto which flanges could not adhere. The Arglaes powder doesn't interfere with the flanges' ability to stick. From the day I first used their powder, I had no leaks and no "failing flanges" ... Theresa (the ET who introduced me to the Arglaes powder) recommends it frequently during her wound care visits.

Thanks!

sassie

Hi Pat in Pickering,

Thanks for the peroxide info, going to try that.. The nurse told me I had a yeast infection and they wrote a script but it did not help, so I tried the "Benzoin Compound Tincture" because my skin felt like I had a hot curling iron under the wafer, it was unbearable.. It was instantly better.. Good luck to you

Arglaes antimicrobial powder I found on eBay but.. It was really pricey.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40 _trksid=m570.l1313 _nkw=+arglaes+antimicrobial+powder+ _sacat=0

I had such burning under my wafer and I heard of this "Geritrex Benzoin Compound Tincture" and am so happy with it.. Instantly no burning or itching and really helps wafer stick too..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Geritrex-Benzoin-Compound-Tincture-Topical-Skin-Protectant-2oz-Each/302731435235?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144