Watermelon and Ostomy: Any Challenges?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses any challenges or tips related to consuming watermelon with an ostomy.
freedancer

Have any of you had issues with eating watermelon? I have been trying new things since New Maxine has allowed me to eat a lot more things that I couldn't eat before.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,089 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

I never could cope with water melon before or after the stoma! It's all about experimenting with what suits us and what doesn't.

Best wishes

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
freedancer

What symptoms did you get from watermelon?

Bill

Symptoms were reflux - more to do with aggravating my hiatus hernia than anything stoma connected. 

Dizzydeena

I haven't had any issues with watermelon. It helps keep me hydrated as well. I eat a personal size watermelon every few days.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Past Member

I've had my stoma (Stella) since November. I also have a hernia. Possible surgery in September. I've never had a problem eating anything. Nuts, popcorn, watermelon, any melon. I chew real good, drink lots of water.

vikinga

I love homemade watermelon margaritas!! :))

awilli50

I had a lot of output from my stoma but no pain ... watermelon tastes so good. I suggest eating a small amount at a time..... GOOD LUCK

vollovr

No problems with watermelon in 36 years!

Cinderella

It's a no for me. Loads of food on my no list. On the plus side, I have lost 3 stone in weight.