Colostomy Reversal

In this discussion
Replies
Views
HatingTape

I was wondering if anyone had had this done. I heard horror stories about the after effects. I am supposed to have it reversed in the next couple of months. Just seeking more opinions. Truly appreciate it.

Mary

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,094 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello Mary. sorry to see that you have, as yet, had no replies to your post. THere are loads of past posts on the subject to be found in 'PREMIUM CONTENT'  under 'Ostomy reversal'.  THese can be found either at the side or bottom of your screen. 

I decided against a reversal - mainly because the problem I had, which led to my stoma ( a prolpased anus) would have undoubtedly returned if I started defeacating through my anus again. 

A problem with these sorts of sites is that very often it is the people with the problems who want to air and share their experiences, so we tend to get a biased viewpoint of lots of things going wrong. However, I am sure there are many operations which are successful where people simply get on with their 'normal' lives and have no need to share this with others.

Best wishes

Bill,

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Ninny

Hi Mary,

I just had a reversal done 5 weeks ago. My situation was micro perforations of diverticuli in late February. Initially, I was treated with IV antibiotics in hopes to heal perforations, so I could do a controlled resection after a colon clean out. 8 days after the initial perforation, my temperature started rising with a generalized feeling of crappiness. My surgeon found an abscess and inserted a drain under a laparoscopic procedure. 5 days later, I fistulized into the drain. Finally, I had a sigmoid colectomy with an end colostomy. My surgeon said he wouldn't consider reversal before 3-4 months. He wanted me to regain my strength and decrease the inflammation in my abdomen. Well, my insurance plan was in negotiation with the hospital in my plan and if an agreement wasn't reached, my hospital would be out of network by July 1st. So I called my surgeon's office to get on his schedule. I had my reversal June 8th. I was supposed to have it done laparoscopically, but ended up having to be opened up midline, again. I went home on day 3. Healing has been much easier than the initial colostomy, due to muscle wasting with the process leading up to the colostomy. I was back walking 3 miles per day, 1 week post-op. I wore Depends briefs for a couple of weeks, until I felt comfortable that my body knew the difference between gas, liquid, or stool. Right now, I have control 5 weeks post-op, but have more urgency than I did pre-procedures. I heed the call of nature faster than I did in the past!

I'm not sure what your circumstances are, but everyone is different, so it's hard to compare everyone's experiences. I also read some accounts of others that have had reversals, which left me anxious. In my case, I wasn't dealing with Crohn's or any other chronic inflammatory condition.

I wish you well on your journey...

Ninny

Rubylu2

Hi Mary.

I had a colostomy for 7 months due to a ruptured sigmoid colon. I had no complications after my reversal last September. Before the reversal, my surgeon made sure I was in tip-top physical condition. It was hard work. I made sure to eat properly and took vitamins. The reversal surgery was easier to recover from, and I was back to full-time work within a month. I considered keeping the bag because of fear of the unknown. But I am so happy I went through with it. Living with the colostomy was very difficult for me psychologically. We are all different, but I have had no complications from the reversal. I've been able to maintain my healthy eating habits and have fully resumed normal activities. I don't eat popcorn or whole grain foods anymore. On rare occasions, I use Miralax to keep things moving, but I've found drinking water helps me avoid constipation. It's okay to be scared. It's another major surgery. But unlike the first emergency surgery, reversal was much easier to recover from. Think hard about your decision and do what is right for you. Good luck. Sending you positive vibes.

HatingTape

Thank you Rubylu2. Your input was very helpful. Because of the hernias which started this mess, the surgery will be huge according to my surgeon. All the previous hernia repairs and to be removed. So all that has to be fixed along with the reversal. It could be another month in the hospital. But, I really think I am going to have it done. Thanks again.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister