Recovery from Rectum Removal and Anus Sew: Coping with Pain and Healing

Replies
Views
drfields24

Hi everyone, hope everyone is doing well.

Well, I had my surgery on the 28th of June. I spent 16 days in the hospital due to complications, but now I've been home for four days and I'm doing okay. It's very, very painful. I thought I almost couldn't bear it, but I did. I don't regret having the surgery. Now that the pain is more tolerable, I'll be glad when it completely heals. I can't sit for too long. I have an inflatable waffle bed on top of my mattress, which makes a world of difference and allows me to lie on my back with no discomfort.

renemoon51

Forgive my curiosity, but why do some have to have their rectum removed? I have a permanent ileostomy and have lived with it now for 7 years, and I got here the easier way, diverticulitis, second attack, and I woke up with a new outlook on life. I thought it was horrid and could not imagine any kind of normal. I learned rapidly to appreciate my second life. The worst thing through that was the surgeon's attitude. I never went back to him or any other surgeon. I know I will need to consult one sometimes, it's just difficult to find one.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,488 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

lewboy60

In my case, a biopsy of an ulcer on my anus caused by radiotherapy from a previous cancer, fusing a hemorrhoid (18 years ago), returned a positive for cancer. My op was just over 5 months ago with removal of my rectum and fitted out with my new stoma orifice.... I now have a Ken butt (Ken and Barbie Doll butts). It was pretty painful and slow healing, complicated by keyhole surgery proposed to construct my stoma turning into a slice and dice from the belly button to pubis, and an infection and return to the hospital, loss of appetite, and not helped by side effects of painkillers causing constipation. I took up smoking the weed to get back my appetite, ease my pain, and get off the Endone. Cushions everywhere, car, desk chair...even took them to any appointments I had just in case there wasn't suitable seating. Still coming to terms with my new orifice but thankful I had a great surgeon who created a pert protruding stoma I call my Botox Baby because it looks like Botox Lips...Still haven't dared to look at my Ken butt in the mirror yet. In parting, I would just like to share some levity with you guys...Cheers All ........

Johnny's teacher asked the class how their weekends were.

"Horrible," said Johnny. "A car hit my cat in the arse!"

"Rectum," said the teacher. "Say rectum."

"Rectum? Damn near killed 'em!"

Marye

I have adenocarcinoma - rectal cancer that involves the sphincter muscle. I have gone through chemo and radiation. No fun. Now surgery on the 27th of July. The surgeon will remove the rectum and anus, and a reconstructive surgeon will, well, reconstruct. No sitting for 2 weeks. I am overcome with fear and resistance at times. I have tried so many things..... Thanks to everyone who shares. Really helping.

drfields24

Hi.

I wish you the very best with your surgery. Keep us posted.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
drfields24

In my case, I had a hysterectomy in 2015 to remove a large tumor. In turn, it caused nerve damage to my rectum. As you know, nerves are irreparable. After I got my colostomy bag in 2016, I had very bad drainage with no control. So, the only way to fix it was to remove the rectum and sew up the anus. I know everyone's story is different. I'm glad I had it done; no more drainage.

Soc40

I had rectum remover with permanent colostomy as a result of a cancerous tumor.

Radio and chemo, I agree, no fun, but the wound has healed. It's getting easier to sit and I have almost forgotten it's gone!

It's a case of holding your nose, jumping, and swimming for dear life! You'll be surprised how you'll be strong enough to get through it. Good luck from Dublin, Ireland.

Past Member

In reference to sewing your butt closed. As I was told, my ostomy was permanent. If you're going to have a reversal, then obviously they won't stitch it up. I had my permanent ostomy in Nov. 2017.