Tips & Tricks

In this discussion
Replies
Views
vicbear13
I have had an ileostomy for almost two years now and I am still learning new things. I would love to collect clothing tips, (especially underwear) cleaning tips, perspiration issues...you get the idea.

Here is one of mine...I tried manufactured underwear but it was too bulky so I made my own. I simply took a pair of boxer briefs and made my own pocket. I sewed a small piece of material cut from an old pair of boxer briefs patterned from my ileostomy pouch, cut an opening just below the waistline to slip my pouch through and voila. Now I have a barrier between my skin and my pouch. It's basically cutting the hole in the waistline of the underwear, slipping the pouch through and covering it with the material.

Another is using antiperspirant just above my wafer so I don't sweat as much, thus not compromising the wafer's adhesion.

Who's got more ideas?

Vic
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,093 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Kathleen53

Thank you for a great tip. I too have had my ileostomy for nearly two years. My skin is always getting so sore from the pouch and I'm definitely going to try your tip of sewing in the pocket. If and when I have any great ideas to contribute, I shall certainly let you know.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
lottagelady

Umm... I really think you need a review then from the Ostomy nurses, I'm sure it shouldn't be so sore after this length of time either... suspect some of the boys may jump in here with some good skin protection tips - there are some good ones on here already if you have time to search, using a hairdryer to dry properly, etc. Good luck with it all, Rachel xx
vicbear13

How about cleaning? I use tissue rolled up like a cigar to initially wipe, then a baby wipe, then another tissue. After that, I put some deodorant drops and some absorbent crystals in the pouch. I do this about every four hours and change my pouch every other day. Change my wafer every four days.

Anybody different?

Mike

I never heard of the crystals. What brand name are they and where do you buy them? Thanks in advance, Mike.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
vicbear13
Hey Mike,

The crystals are for ileostomates. They are called Par-Sorb absorbent crystals and I get them from Edgepark.com. They help manage stomal fluids, reduce noise, extend wear time, prevent leakage, and keep pouch contents from damaging peristomal skin. The crystals absorb all messy liquids and turn them into a gel.

I order all my supplies from Edgepark and my insurance covers it all. It is an awesome site, and all their reps are knowledgeable about ostomy patients. I usually get my orders in 2-3 days, and shipping is free. I recommend it to everyone.

Vic
Frenchie55

Thanks, great tip.

vicbear13

Kathleen,

Have you tried powder between your pouch and skin? I use a moisture-absorbing powder from Convatec. It really made a big difference.

Vic

nakedinthesunt

When I switched to Hollister New Image with the silent cloth outer liner, I knew I had what I needed. No more noisy plastic wrinkling sounds, no sweating under the bag, or rubbing on the skin. They definitely work for me. Go to Hollister and ask for a free sample, and I'll bet you'll be impressed.
Here's a handy hint too I discovered. A woman's tube top works great under clothing to mask the pouch outline, plus it keeps it closer to the body. Definitely a plus when it comes to intimate times too. After finding the tube top worked so well, I made myself a few for pennies. A couple with swimsuit material for swimming and a few for other occasions.

vicbear13

Great tip, naked....I will definitely try that. I have purchased belts in the past which do work, but a tube top sounds a hell of a lot less than these belts. I see you were in the military? A.F.? I am retired A.F also. Was stationed at Peterson back in 90-92. I miss the Springs. Well, take care and thanks for the tip.
Vic

tippitop

There are also charcoal-based sachets which do all of those things, such as solidifying, etc., but also reduce odor, so there is no embarrassment when emptying the bag in anyone else's home or in public toilets! No odor at all!! I use Trio Diamonds sachets; they really provide great confidence, no smell whatsoever, no worries. Made in the U.K. by Trio Healthcare.
Tippitop

Past Member

On odor control:

I saw elsewhere in these forums a tip about using Tic Tacs for odor control. I was skeptical, but it really works! After several weeks of trials, I have decided that for me, adding two Tic Tacs to the bag after each empty is about right. It pretty much eliminates odor during emptying, replacing it with a pleasant minty smell.

TWGMontana
Some things I've learned since having my first ostomy surgery about 6 years ago...

1) SOAP - Dial Gold Original and Zest Original are the only soaps that do not leave residue on your skin. If you're having trouble with your flange sticking to your skin, try one of these. I use Dial Gold and haven't had that problem since switching. (I was told this by an ostomy nurse)

2) OUTPUT DURING CHANGING - If you want to pause your output, for whatever reason, eat a few mini marshmallows. They'll plug it for a while, giving you time to change without discharge.

3) LIGHTLY HEAT YOUR FLANGE - I've found that if I use a hair dryer on warm heat on my flange before taking off the backing it sticks longer. Remove the backing afterward and let it *air* for about a minute before applying it to your skin. My flanges last much longer this way.

4) SUPPLIES - I had a lot of problems with several of the supplies I tried. I finally switched to Hollister and couldn't be happier with them.

5) Never use TP or tissue that has lotion. Some kleenex tissues are made to *moisten* your nose. Check your product to ensure it uses no lotions or other moisterizers.

6) TUBE TOP - Someone else mentioned this in this thread. They work great and you can always find them cheap a Ross, Marshalls or other discount stores. They're also easy to make if you have a sewing machine.

7) BEANO - For Gas Problems

NAME YOUR OSTOMY! - I was told this by an ostomy nurse when I first had my surgery. There's psychological reasons for this, and I'm no psychologist so I won't try to explain it in those terms, but I've found it makes it a little easier to talk about and it also gives you a code for dealing with uncomfortable situations. Let's say you're out with a friend and you have some sort of ostomy emergency where you need to either excuse yourself or leave alltogether. You can say to someone who knows your code "Lydia called, and she's upset. I need to go give her a call". (I named my ostomy "Lydia" and all my Friends know that.) I've also said "Lydia called, and she's full of hot air!" hahaha It works, and it can be fun to use it different ways.

7) WET SUIT MATERIAL - I made a cover with wet suit material for when I waterski or swim. It stays put and can keep your appliance relatively dry and secure. It helps if you can find a seamstress to put a zipper on it for you.

ODOR WHEN EMPTYING - Flush the toilet as soon as you empty. Don't wait until you've cleaned the end and closed the pouch. It'll keep the room smell down.

9) AVOID SPLASH - I saw this somewhere else on the forum, but it's something that works for me so I'll add it here. To avoid splashing when emtying, drop some TP in the toilet bowl before you empty. It works!

I hope these help someone. Lydia and I will let you know if anything else comes to mind.
swiffer

Some great tips. After 6 years, I am still learning new ones.

guitarpete
Hi, I will try my first post, see if it works. Since my surgery (Nov. 2008), I have used a product called Surgilast, a tubular elastic dressing retainer. It's sometimes called burn netting. I buy it by the box that has 25 yards in it. It's kind of an open weave material and looks like a sock but it stretches way out. It works well for me, holding the bag in and close to the body. I just pull out 13 inches and cut it. I believe you can buy it by the foot too. If you need more info, email me. Good luck.
shitzengiggles

Hey everyone, I made a rather serendipitous error and ordered mini pouches from Convatec. Hollister has them also but theirs are a little bit bigger. The Convatec minis are about the size of a flange (wafer) so they are very discreet and don't hang down. So for those intimate moments .......
I'm pretty lucky my colostomy usually moves first thing in the AM, so when I'm pretty sure Rosy is done for the day, I swap out the drainable for the mini. Then I go about my day. They're really great in this hot weather! Toodles

loren4life
Wow, I'm glad I stumbled into this thread. Lots of good ideas, especially from TWG. Thanks. I've had mine for six years and still learning also.

We should all be directing the newbies to this forum. I'm working with a new ostomate in Georgia who I don't think has even met an ET nurse, let alone this forum or a doctor who knows much. Maybe she has good recreational drugs!

My work life is quite active like most people. I used to have blowouts and they are always inconvenient. Since starting to wear that 1-inch belt, I haven't had a blowout in years. YEAH!

Loren
foxwoods

Guitar Pete
Is that waterproof?

walderpeee

Do you use the Tic Tacs in colostomy bags? I often wondered if it works!

mdq58

Paper tape makes a great deal around the wafer. I use Convatec Surfit Flexible - since 1979. The tape is part of the collar. Swimming, perspiration,... No problem. M9 is the best deodorant I've found. Hope this is useful.