Desperate for Help: Urgent Ileostomy Hernia Surgery Delayed - Seeking Advice

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Gnomeo

Hi, I have an extremely large, heavy, painful stoma hernia (2nd one in 2 years). My GP contacted a surgeon stating he advises urgent surgery. The surgeon says (without seeing me) I have to wait 12+ months. I almost have to "carry" my hernia around, suffer excruciating pain, and constant leaks. I'm virtually housebound and desperate. Can anyone advise me how to seek help/who to appeal to, please? Thanks

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,106 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

countyclare

Not knowing the specifics, I would suggest that you immediately get yourself to a hospital emergency room to be examined by a physician.

Best of luck.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
countyclare

Not knowing the specifics, I would suggest that you immediately get yourself to a hospital emergency room to be examined by a physician.

Best of luck.

britathrt60

Oh my gosh, you need help now, not 12 months from now. Go to the emergency room and get checked. Good luck.

Bill

Hello Gnomeo. I see you are living in the UK, which will PROBABLY MEAN THINGS WILL GET MUCH WORSE IN A YEAR'S TIME AFTER WE LEAVE THE EU AND THE ECONOMY TAKES A NOSE DIVE. I would suggest that, alongside pressing for an urgent preliminary examination, you think about going private so that You can at least get a preliminary diagnosis from an expert. This would be harder for the NHS doctors to ignore.  The problem you face is becoming more and more prevalent in that 'they' won't even want your name on a waiting list, in case it reflects badly on their target figures when they don't do the operations - sometimes years after the initial diagnosis. You can also lodge an official complaint, which will be treated with their usual contempt but it does establish that you were serious about the situation from the outset. I am sorry to say that this seems to be the way the country is headed at present but I do wish you well in you personal efforts to get better treament.

Best wishes

Bill  

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Gnomeo

Thank you, Bill. I did indeed contact a private hospital. They told me the surgeon that would perform the operation would be the exact same surgeon who is ignoring my case. As I live in North Wales, he is the only colorectal surgeon for this vast area!!!

He, in fact, messed up my initial ileostomy operation and had to re-site it. I then developed sepsis in our filthy hospital, followed by my first hernia repair. Following more problems, I was told then, only then, the previous hernia repair was temporary!!!! (No mesh). Now him and my GP are at a stand-off. I have absolutely no faith in him.

As I live in Wales, surgery across the border is not available unless I go private. The quote for this is approx £12 - £15k.!!!!

ChrisP

I am sorry to hear you are trapped in this situation. If you could get to France, the operation would almost certainly be cheaper and done quickly in a clean hospital. People come over for other operations - why not this?

Gnomeo

This is certainly something to consider. Thank you so much.

dls

Gnomeo, OMG, this is one of the worst situations I've read on this site. I wish you only the best medical care wherever you find it. Not to mention a complete recovery. As I am an American with excellent insurance, it is almost impossible for me to truly understand your access/administrative problems. For that, I defer to Bill and anyone else who has National Health and understands the system. Although I agree that a private consultation will give you more alternatives and not set you back too severely. Everything you can find out and add to your knowledge bank will help you make the correct decisions. Do let us know what happens, we are all interested.

P.S. I have not mentioned NHS because it is such a hot-button issue. If anyone ever wants to start a dialogue, bring it on.

Gnomeo

Thank you X

Gnomeo

Thank you

amandababygirl

Hi