How to empty and rinse clip pouches?

Replies
Views
dls

Now that I have learned to use a clip, I have a new dilemma. How do I empty and rinse it out? Unlike 'roll ups', bags with clips do not have those stiff plastic panels that you can squeeze to open and hold while you rinse your bag. With clip bags, I find myself holding onto a piece of flaccid plastic, no way to open it, impossible to gain purchase to pour water in it to rinse. Many here love their clips, so I know it's me. Please answer and tell me how to empty and rinse. My output is thick and sticky, so rinsing is important. Oh, I use a one-piece so I can't take it off every time I empty. All you clip lovers, help... I like the clips, but I'm making a mess.

NJ Bain

Dls,

Right after surgery, my ET nurse gave me one of the hospital douche bottles to help rinse my pouch out. I use a one-piece also and have gotten used to not rinsing it out. So this is what I do.

I hold the drainable end upright by the flaccid plastic, unclip my clips (I use 2 clips in case one fails), I then cuff the opening like you're rolling up the sleeves on a shirt. This helps with cleaning the opening and not have residue poo in the opening.

Then, I use my pointy and middle finger on the front and back of the pouch and slide the poo into the loo.

Now, I'm having trouble finding a YouTube video that shows what I'm talking about because most people use the Velcro enclosure now, but below is a link to the videos. Hope this helps.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+empty+ileostomy+bag+with+clip

Bain

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,424 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

dls

Accessed your link and watched several videos. I have that exact same bottle, and another one with a twist-up, more pointed nozzle. Do you know what they are? Peri-bottles, given to women after childbirth to help with rinsing the area and soothing it with water... TMI? No, it is the exact clear bottle, pop-up nozzle, would love to see the embossing. That's what I've been using, the big idea for me was to fold the 'chute' back on itself, as you explained. It gives a much better grip and keeps your hands clean. Thanks! I like clips, as I am short, I get the curved clips and roll up my bag as far as I can and stuff it in my undies, otherwise, it hangs down to my upper thigh, and the clip curves nicely to me, I don't even feel it.

NewlifeVictoria

Hi, I use Velcro and I think it's better than a clip. Also, at the end of the drainable bags, I use blue tape. It helps to make it more comfortable when touching your leg. Additionally, it's not really sticky, so it won't make the bag too sticky. You may like it, so it's a two-piece and drainable with blue tape.

NewlifeVictoria

Oops, I forgot to say you roll it up and tape it onto the bag. Works great, just thought I would share.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
flynfshr

Here's what I believe is the easiest, cleanest, and best way to empty your bag: Use a 'ketchup' type clear plastic bottle (Walmart of course), use hot (as you can take it) water, hold the bag up, wiggle the nozzle tip between the lips and squirt in about 1/4 of the bottle of water... then squish it around in the bag, this will loosen the poo from the bag itself, kinda bunch it up, and if there are lumps, kinda squeeze them into shape to go out, then point the bag down and let 'er go... depending on how much, you may need to do it a second time... I usually keep two bottles of hot water, using the final water to flush out just the tail of the bag, I see no need to rinse everything out of the bag, it's gonna pick up some more in a little bit anyway. After the final flush of the tail of the bag, replace the clip and you're home free! - I've used this method for well over a year without one problem, whether the poo is liquidy, solid, pebbly, or just what, it flushes out fine. I've never had a clip come loose. I use Hollister 82612 convex bags. Go about my business, shopping, working, playing, in church, wherever I'd go if I didn't have it. I've got uro bag and colo bags. Two-Bag-Daddy!!

TNDavid57

I use a lubricating deodorizing solution that keeps the inside of the bag lubricated so that it empties very clean. I add 8 to 10 drops every time I empty. It controls odor and keeps the pouch supple.

dls

What is it called?

Pirrip

I hold a flat piece of metal about 6x4" under the bag, (bit of aluminium from the place where they made Concorde!) I run over the pouch (confidence be) with a 4" roller, with the bag open ... the stuff flies out! .... Job done!

dls

Do you then use the metal as a scraper to clean out the bag? Getting the 'output out' is only half the job. Do you use old Concorde fuel to rinse out your bag? Gieesch...