Food

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Pringlesoriginal

Greetings everyone. Just had an ileostomy four weeks ago and was told cannot eat leafy veg etc. I've been avoiding any food that they have told me to avoid but was wondering if and when I can reintroduce any leafy vegtables. Thankyou.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,103 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member
Hi I must admit I eat more or less the sames things I did before, mushrooms, colley, brocley and cabbage, i just cut itup smaller and che it more it is now 2 years since I had my Ileostomy and had no problms, but I must say thats me, can't answer for others

Mike
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Pringlesoriginal

Thank you Mike6952. Appreciate your reply.

Past Member

Your welcome I have been eating everything as I said since I came home, hope it helps

Mike

Longroad78

The recommended diet was low residual diet. Pasta, pancakes, eggs pouched, avocados, limiting food with fiber as your intestines are pushing through something the size of a straw. I gained some unwanted weight from the higher carb diet but after the intestines swelling went down I have eaten a normal diet and testing the waters on foods listed that may cause problems. Your going to have to test things in see how you do on most foods not just for blockages but also because of food that might produce extra gas, had a scare waking up at night and feeling the ostomy bag ballooned up rushing to the bathroom before it popped. No more cucumbers for.me at night. I had my surgery in the middle of September last year and was moving to a more normal diet close to the end of October. I hope this helps.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
britathrt60

It is all about trial and error...I have had my ileostomy for 19 years now and unfortunately did learn the hard way what not to eat...you have to chew chew and chew! ...eventually you will be able to eat whatever you want....takes time...be patient and take good care of yourself

best wishes

Angela

Past Member

Yes it is all about making everything you eat as small as you can cut it and chew it as much as you can while you still have to enjoy your food

NJ Bain

Pringlesoriginal,

All good advice. This is something that new ostomates are told immediately after surgery that they can't have raw veggies anymore. Unfortunately, people take this too literally and think it means forever. Yes, some people just can't process certain foods as everyone is different. But you realize pretty fast that you have to learn how to chew your food more so than before your surgery. I do miss wolfing down a slice of pizza sometimes.

So as everyone has said, chew your food up very well, to the consistency of paste before swallowing, take good care of your teeth as you're gonna need them. Unless of course you want to just throw everything into a blender...lol

Bain

Vikingthor

Take no notice of what they say! They haven't had am Osromy! I had my Ilost 1,5 yrs ago and from the very first day, I've eaten everything and anything I want with no side affects!

beachy

I've had my ileostomy for one year this month. I ate very soft foods the first 6-8 weeks as recommended by my dr. But now I can eat whatever I like. I always follow food with plenty of water. Good luck!

Ewesful

Watch your output and if the ;foods ;digest then fine, if they look the same in your output bag as going in then don't eat them -- some people have lost the duodenum and if you have, then you don't eat any raw veggies.

jghandymann

I would recommend waiting and slowly add veggies.. I eat a lot of well cooked califlower but I also eat a ot of raw foods.. The key is chopping the salads up.. Do like a chopped salad and avoid bean sprouts.. They get me evertime.. Also corn can be a bitch.. It's not the kernal but the starch in the corn that builds a huge plug everytime.. There's not too much I won't eat but I always make sure to cut my veggies up small and chew the crap out of everything.. Also beets can make you panic.. It looks like you just filled your bag with blood.. I've had my illeostomy for 9 years now but I also had 14 surgeries because the VA botched my first surgery so bad.. Good Luck and take it slow..

Roxie420

Whenever you feel comfortable. Take it slow, chew all veggies very well and you will be fine.

RissyLauren

Hi there! First, hope you know how brave you are to reach out like this after what you've been through. A lot of people isolate, understandably, after this kind of surgery and stress. Will be thinking about you and hoping for continued good healing.

Second, I wish I had an answer to your question. Everyone is different so My advice would be at 8 weeks to slowly, one thing at a time, introduce something new to your body. Drink lots of water and see how it goes. It's a lot of trial and error but you will figure it out. XOXOXO

Sdp85

For me I cannot have pineapple whatsoever. It's too acidic and it burns through my bag. Vegetables and fruits are okay when they're cooked or skinned depending on what they are. I stay away from celery and other very stringy Foods. My doctor told me think of those things building a net that you can't digest and that's when blockage happens. If you eat too much veggies and fruits or anything high-fiber at once it could block you and it's very uncomfortable and could lead to a hospital visit. Things in moderation are pretty key. But texture is the biggest issue I've had problems with. Skin all your fruits, cook all your veggies and slowly you can re- adjust what your body can handle. Good luck to you!

HenryM

Four weeks is a pretty short time and you'll need to take new foods slow and one at a time to determine what, if anything, bothers you.  I eat leafy veggies all the time without incident.  You'll have to learn to make lots of chewing a habit, and you may see small bits of the veg -- like lettuce, e.g. -- in your stool.  One thing that I've always had to avoid is melons.  But spicy stuff is no problem.  Also, milk products will run through you like pork through a goose, but you just have to learn to time that sort of food accordingly.  Key:  chew, and chew, and chew some more.

anyark

I just eat butter lettuce as it's tender and digests well. I'd wait a few months before trying lettuce. Some folks can eat anything, and others are limited. Trial and error is the key. Try small amounts at first and see how your body does.

christielou

I est everything. Chew chew and chew when starting out and go from there. I have had no problems and i just had my 1 year stomaversary.

denverguy

I have followed the list they gave me after surgery and have never had any problems. I Miss eating nuts, pineapple, oranges,corn, peas and because of a another medical condition cannot eat anything with vitamin K, which takes care of most leafy veggies. I have heard how bad the blockages can be so I've aways been very careful. I buy only the best beef, the leaner the better and do eat a lot of chicken. Pasta has become something I enjoy frequently. One rule is anything with a thicker skin must be chewed on more than you used too. I went very slow for a few months testing one food at a time. Boost can be your best food purchase till you learn what is working for you. Best of Luck!

AMrfd
Well I've had my colostomy about eight years now. What I find if I eat things in moderation I usually don't have a problem. But yes spicy food does the give me the runs. I've never been to Winlock but I've driven by there plenty of times. It looks like a nice small community were you probably know your neighbors. If I had any kids that's the kind of place I think I would like to raise them. Basic morals you not something the city kids learn, or respect. Just an opinion. I'm thinking that where you're located you guys got dusted really well from wall Mount Saint Helens. All your pictures are great looks like you might have taking pictures of the whole town. Hope you do well with your ostomy, believe me I know it is a major adjustment in your lifestyle.