Diet

In this discussion
Replies
Views
sirenia

Does anyone have a good website for printed ileostomy diet? I have a non-compliant mother who won't eat correct foods and continues to get blockage/ileus. Would love to hand her something official.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,086 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

lottagelady

Hi, this is quite a reasonable one - hope it helps a bit!

Rach xx

http://www.upmc.com/HealthAtoZ/patienteducation/Documents/OstomyNutrition.pdf

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Past Member
Rach, you always find the best sites and places and your one good trooper on helping us Ostomates, I wanted to personally say Thank You, I dont know how to do a new Post, I tried and messed up, so I hope you dont mind. My husband found a site in the US that gives Ostomy supplies to the unisured and someone asked the other day and he wasnt home, so I wrote it down, I hope I dont get in trouble. It is called Osto Group and you can google it or call, 1-877-678-6690. Rach plus there are more on Google where you pay very little depending on your income also. This is US only as what I have found is people like me will donate there supplies we dont need anymore after our reversals, we dont have any worries about getting another Ostomy once our surgery is complete. A lot of us didnt have colon problems I am finding out and people they say had Diverticulitis only and my Doctor said I didnt even have that wont have to go back to an Ostomy but I will never forget the Hell this put me and my family through. I missed the water slides and roller coasters last year and I really promised God after I buried my daughter I would take my son all the time, but now that I learned about Hernias I am afraid. I ordered two NU Hope Hernia belts and they are on back order and I Pray they come today. I met some on the coolest and kindest people on this site and seeing this much caring makes me feel so good. In a way I am sorry this happened but in another way I have made some of the best friends I have ever had on this web site and I am so protected and safe here. I am deeply sorry you have had to go through so much and God Be With You Alway's and Forever and he knows how good and kind you are. So do I by reading all the help you give other people and your kindness is beyond me. I am in the US and I know a lot of people who wouldnt give someone the time of day and you help so so many people and I love that about you. I am sorry I got on your site to give the man who has no insurance the site to get his bags the number to get them free or call and get them cheap. My husband and I are like you and want to do all we can and after I have been through this I know how much it has been a burden on my own family. My husband really wont let me do anything until I get those Hernia belts as my surgery is closer every day and I hope you all Pray for me as I need those Prayers and I want to raise my youngest son and I promised God I would. I have no idea when I can have plastic surgery on my tummy for sure until after this reversal. But I know one thing Ostomates are very special and kind people and I have nothing but genuine love for them. Now that I know how hard it was to become one, the first hospital didnt even show us how to put on a bag, so I had to go to a emergency room to get them changed until my Psychiatrist put me in a better hospital where I got Ostomy Nurses and learned myself. God Bless You Rach and I will stay on this site even after my surgery. I was once a good Nurse and never knew how hard these bags were on patients, I worked with a Doctor in Geriatrics but only emergency at night in Atlanta and I did all the Lab work after all the blood was drawn. I miss being a Nurse but raising my youngest and being at home for him is so much more important to me, plus I can help people in other ways now thanks to you all. Take care of You Rach, Love Jenny PS I can't ever leave my husband, he didnt sign those papers to hurt me, he thought he was helping and I do know that, I just been so depressed and confused but I love him so much and I want my family together.
lottagelady
Hi Jenny, thank you for your kind words .... glad you have gotten over your little bout of depression. I was sad when I read your post about leaving your husband - this surgery can hit really hard on all of us - especially depending on how we all got here - for some, it's a lifesaver, for others it is due to someone else's mistake. I will call it that for want of a better word ... I have felt terribly down, unwell, and lonely recently as I really do not think I am being heard by my doctors - and look where that got me last time when they didn't listen .... here.... But, as you say, this site has meant a great deal to me - I have many friends here, some of whom unfortunately are on the other side of the world, but are always there with a cheery comment or advice when I need it - I have every intention of one day being able to meet up with you guys - may need a substantial lottery win first, but I will make it happen eventually - UK first!

Take good care

Rach xx

PS to create a new post - go to FORUM HOME PAGE, click on the subject ie ASK A QUESTION or LET'S TALK, then click the NEW POST box at the top beside the subject title xx
eddie

Maybe you're being a little too hard on her. I was told I could eat anything except popcorn after my ileostomy. The key is to chew everything really well. How long has it been after her surgery? I know I had problems with food boluses after my surgery no matter what I did. These are very painful. I can't imagine anyone who could prevent them wouldn't???
Eddie

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
weewee

Thanks JG for the info on that for people with low income. I know that SSDI doesn't pay much. Then, after you get your SSDI, you don't get any help with your medical supplies for about two years. I know this because I am one of those who is on the waiting list to get my medical supplies. LOL! I would say if anyone who isn't in the US can't get a hold of the company, I am sure they can ask one of us over here to help them and send a care package to them.

ShineyShawnee
Just adding to what Eddie said....I was also told I could pretty much eat what I wanted as long as I chewed everything really well and drank lots of water when having anything on the "caution" list such as popcorn or nuts.

Blockages are very painful. I had what we now call "The Tater Tot Incident" and...I'm here to tell ya'...OUCH! Needless to say, tater tots are forbidden in my house now.
beyondpar

It's important to know that sometimes it's not the food or lack of chewing that does it. There is such a thing as scar tissue. As a result of many surgeries, scar tissue will cause blockages and there is nothing you can do about it. So, you must chew to lower the risk of blockages. I hope this too helps. Michael

beatrice
When I left the hospital, I was given a document very much like the one Rach has given.

It's a great guide and starting place ... but as many have said, diet and ileostomy is a very individual thing.

For example, anything carbohydrate works fine for me (that includes pastries which is on the 'Avoid' list). French fries are great and have given me something to order when I'm out. Get this - plain cheese pizza (no onions or mushrooms in the sauce) goes down so good - I just chew each bite to mush.

Cheese works and cottage cheese, which I've always loved, is a staple.

I haven't been able to make veggies work for me. Only well-cooked carrots and a little well-cooked cauliflower and broccoli (the latter 2 give me almost instant zeppos). How I miss my big salads!

Fruit is limited to canned peaches and mandarin slices. Bananas and ripe pears, no skin.

As far as meat goes ... chicken and a bit of ground beef is okay. Fish is fine (but odor!).

When you try new foods, make sure it's just a couple of bites chewed very well.

I used to eat a varied diet. The downside of what I can eat now is weight gain. Just too much carb/sugar content.

The most important thing to keep in mind is small bites, chewed very well -- no matter what you are eating.

Take care.
car1951

All right, guys, this is my solution to the bolus problem--Montel's Healthmaster. That's a whopper of a blender. I loved raw stuff and when I got my ileus, I had to stop eating raw fruits and vegetables. That depressed me when nothing else did. I found it on an infomercial. I can eat anything now--absolutely no problem. Sure, you have to get used to drinking your raw stuff but once you get over the liquid state, it tastes fine. Any powerful blender will probably work but I love the Healthmaster--bet it would grind down rocks. Give it a try.