Swimming with an Ileo: Need advice on adhesive for hot weather

Replies
Views
beatrice

Hi all ... did ya miss me?

Just got back from a couple of weeks at the lake (interior of B.C. - much hotter weather than where I live on the coast).

First real trip since my ileo in Dec. 09. And a reality check too.

My energy/physical shape is nowhere near what it was this time last year. Tried to do all the same stuff ... wow I tired fast! Did all the right things re water/hydration and eating. But boy did I feel old.

Swimming: everything stayed put and I quite enjoyed myself. I'm more of a paddler so no great butterfly swims - more just playing in the water. BUT when I came out and the appliance adhesive was moist, and the temps were around 88 ... add a hot flash or two ... the adhesive melted. It was doing its best to hold on, but gravity pulled all the melted glue downward and the bottom of the flange opened up. The flexible collar part stayed on pretty well.

Hot Tub: no go. We have it set at a low temp - about 96 and still, after about 15 minutes, the adhesive was melting. Again, with the hot air temps ... there was no chance for the adhesive to cool down, dry, and restick.

Extra tape: Before going, I bought a roll of "Permatype Plastic Tissue-Thin Waterproof Hypo-Allergenic Security Strips" (quite a mouthful, huh?). This tape saved the day. If applied right after applying a new flange, it helped everything stay on longer. Still not the 5 to 6 days for the flange that I get at home, but lasted 2 days instead of one. But it's not breathable, so was a bit hard on the skin.

So -- questions for all the swimmers/hot tubbers out there ... what products do you use and how do you find them for swimming especially? I use Convatec Sur-Fit Natura Moldable Stomahesive System. It really did not stand up to the higher temperatures.

Hubby and I are heading to Hawaii for Christmas (25th anniversary) and we plan to do lots of snorkeling. Will I be changing my appliance every day??

lottagelady

Hi Beatrice - welcome home! I missed you .....

Glad to hear you had a great time - cannot help with the swimming thing as not ventured that far myself ..... sure someone here will have that info though.

Take care
Rach xx

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,473 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Pinky

Hi Beatrice - Although all the products claim to be waterproof, the only one that has been proven to stand up to saltwater are the Cymed products. Check out their website - the spokesperson is Ben Moon from Oregon who is a professional surfer and rock climber.

soulful
Hi Beatrice,

Try Sure Seal Rings. They keep the appliance adhered, keep water out, and let oxygen in. The company is in Chicago, and they probably will send you a sample. The phone number is 1-877-257-4562, and the website is www.alpglobal.com. They are also latex-free - can't ask for much more!

Good luck,
Aileen
Past Member

Beatrice, I gave up my hot tub and swimming, and I am so close to my reconnect. Thank God my doctor isn't calling it a takedown. I've been through enough lately. I miss seeing you on Honey. You are so kind and such a good and loving person. I hope you got to read what Rach's dog did. It wasn't really funny, but something a large dog would do. I would forgive my animal, and if he kissed me, if it was my crap. Heck, he or she would be forgiven. I never hit a child or a dog, and I am a sucker for the love they give us. I mean our animals and our wonderful children. I always had this idea that if you punish an animal or a child, then you're just teaching them to do the same. So, I think Rach is one cool and funny dog owner. We need more like her, although I did laugh at Lobster's joke. It was funny, and I am so much of a germ freak myself. Just know where my children and animals have been, so not a big worry wart. I think it must be the women in me. I really do miss you, Beatrice, and hope you get back on soon. You are so much fun, and I love your cool stories. Jenny

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
wend

I've had my stoma for six months now and went swimming for the first time today, with my daughter and grandsons. I played around with the boys and went off swimming too.
It was great!!
I wore a patch made by Dansac, held on well, no problems at all, stayed in for almost an hour. I will do it again next week if they will come with me. It was lovely.

So don't worry about it, go for it, it's great!!

Take care!
Wendy, x

Past Member

Wendy, I wish I were so brave, but I am in a city in Atlanta and I would never embarrass my child in any way. I am not real close to the ocean here, but I am so close to my reconnect that the Good Lord has got to give me a break next year to go back to water aerobics as I miss it so much and my youngest did it with us. Our pools and water parks are so blue here that I wouldn't chance it. I wanted to as I promised my son after my daughter died that I would be able to handle it next year. It didn't work out with this colostomy, and God love my son, he always seems to understand even when I just want to toss in the towel. I used to love boxing until Tyson thought he could bite ears off. Not so fun anymore. Thank you for letting me know you all had a wonderful time. God bless you all so much. Life can be so awesome. Love, Jenny.

wend

Thanks Jenny, you should get back to that water aerobics as soon as possible. If I can do the swimming pool, you can.
Good luck.
Wendy x

Tiggy
Hey Beatrice!

I'm glad to hear you had an agreeable time, but that really sucks about your appliances giving you so much grief! Unfortunately, Tyler and I haven't been swimming since his surgery, but mostly just because he has always hated the water. So while I don't have a lot of practical experience in this subject, I do know that there are so many options out there, and if I were you I'd make it a side project to try out as many new things as possible between now and going to Hawaii. That way you'll get a much better idea of what works best for you beforehand. It will be much easier to experiment now rather than when you're on vacation!

I'm sure you'll find something that works well, and when you do, make sure you let everyone here on the forums know about it. I plan on getting Tyler to the beach before September, so any info would be appreciated.

~Liz
mooza

Hey all, I am from Melbourne, Australia, so we are surrounded by water. I went to Malaysia for a holiday last year and swam. P.S. and pain relief. The product I use is the Coloplast Sensura one-piece. If I had a colostomy, if possible, I would irrigate for sure so I only have to wear a small cap over the stoma. Well, I must say the Coloplast Sensura range sticks very, very well. I don't know if you can get them, but we can use half-moon-like tape that goes on the pouch for extra protection. If I could send you some, I would. I get them from my association. I think they are called Securplast, so no more messy tapes. I volunteer, so I get to know about the 6 companies Australians can choose from or get free samples. Hope you get a magazine. We get 4 magazines a year. We pay $45 to become a member of our association. Everything is free, so we have a huge choice. Check out all ostomy supplies on the net. Please keep up the swimming. We can't let it beat us. Good luck. Do some laps for me. LOL. Mooza.x

Lobster

I have no problem swimming (or rather a 'controlled not drowning' exercise as I am not the best in the water) here in a warm hotel pool and in pools in Spain and Italy. Spain and Italy it was hot, 30C+, and I had no problem with the pouch (salts). However, I haven't tried sea water with one yet...

Pinky

Hi Aileen (Soulful) - thanks for the info on the seals - I sent for a sample. I think it may help even with the need for a breathable barrier to keep down the rashiness I get around my stoma from sweat, etc.

Mooza - I irrigate my colostomy and have caps but have never had the nerve yet to wear one! Sometimes I'll have a little "gift" from the colon during the day, so I've stuck with mini-pouches. Up here in the USA we get the magazine "The Phoenix" 4 times a year - it's the greatest - found some of the best ideas in that magazine. It's free for UOAA members or $25 a year if someone doesn't want to join. Thanks for bringing it up.

Past Member
The Half Moon tapes are available here in the USA but not very common. I use them and they work very well. Link attached.

http://www.greatmedicalsupplies.com/supply~HYDROFRAME-FLEXIBLE-HYDROCOLLOID-STRIPS-WAFH33~HYDROFRAME-FLEXIBLE-HYDROCOLLOID-STRIPS-WAFH33.htm
beatrice

Thanks all! Will get samples of the products mentioned. I love my "controlled not drowning" exercise (thanks for the laugh, Lobster!) -- so I'm going to keep trying until I find something that works. Same with the hot tub ... nothing feels better for arthritis.