Alternative Medicines?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Franicaa
I've now had my j-pouch for 3 months (still a loop ileostomy) and I keep getting pouchitis!
For anyone thats had it they will know just how painful it can be!

I was just wondering if anyone could suggest any herbal remedies or alternative medicines that not only help with the pain but also help to keep me in a good mood! It's so hard to stay happy all the time when I'm stuck inside in tons of pain all day everyday!

The last thing I want to do is get rid of it and have gone through all this just to end up where I was before stuck with an ileostomy for life.

Thanks, Fran!!
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,086 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

darwin_liong
see and try:

http://www.shop.acupuncture-cupping.com/sore-throat-herbal-powder-014.htm

sprinkle on the wound
it feels cold and relieve pain
do not eat fish
tell if you still sick or recovering
sorry if not potent
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Past Member
My heart goes out to you, I had an internal pouch op 14 years ago, and was always sore, Cold calamine lotion poultise helps quite well, lots of Sudocreme lotion once dry. I ended up having a stoma, but the internal pouch is still in there and leaks now and then, but less of a problem, hope it helps a little, it's miserable to be sore.
junopete
Franinaa,

Sorry to hear about your pouchitis. Pouchitis is generally caused by the wrong bacteria, the J pouch gets inflamed and sore.

For most patients suffering from pouchitis the cure of choice is the antibiotic Flygal(sp).
It is usually given at a fairly low dose for long term, perhaps 6 weeks. There are some patients that have either or both J pouch and U/C that have to be on a very low intermittent dose of antibiotics. It seems to be the only thing that will work to keep the inflammation down.

Also try experiminenting with probiotics. There are dozens on the market, most are ineffective at best.However there are a couple of good ones. My colo-rectal(sp) surgeon swears by a product called Align. I have used it for about 2 years. I have tried others without any noticable result. I still use the Align.
My surgeon has done several hundred J pouch surgery's.He is very familiar with the J pouches and their inherent problems.

What I have found is what works for one person may not work for another. The intestinal system I have found is very slow to heal, years in fact. It is also very touchy in how it reacts.
The most consistent thing I have found with my J pouch is it's inconsistency.

Back to the probiotics. It takes several weeks for these to work, that is if they are going to. If you do try them. don't expect a quick change. The trick is to get the right bacteria in the J pouch.

For me I find most protein works well. Cheese works very well. Most but not all Yogert works well. Believe it or not a little Whiskey seems to help.

I actually keep written records of what I eat daily. To try and get a handle on what works for me. I still don't have it figured out yet. But I am getting closer.

There are many foods that I can tolerate well in small amounts. If I exceed the amount. I do what I call going "up side down" Cramps, nausea, using the toilet a lot. Under no circumstance do I put a veggie in my mouth, period!!!
Vegetables cooked or raw don't get along with J pouches. It's because our shortened intestinal system can not handle the fiber.

I can't stress the importence of chewing your food almost to a liquid. It takes a lot of the work away from our intestines. Remember the newly created J pouch is our colon, it's not much.

Hope some of this helped

Rick.....
butterfly48
If you could find a Natural Path Doctor they may able to help you. Being in the health field so long I know Acidophilus or probiotics will work but which one Also you may want to try chlorophyl, aloe vera or even Digestive enzymes. Always start slowly and then increase dosage as recommended. good luck I too would like this procedure so let us know how your coming along. Butterfly48

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Pinky
Hi Fran - after my temporary colostomy reversal I had lots of problems like you are describing.

My alternative medicine physician put me on probiotics - VSL#3. They were expensive and were only available through pharmacies. Target turned out to be the very cheapest. Since then they have come out with lots of OTC probiotics and like Junopete said Align is the best one and not as bad as VSL#3 but still expensive.

I got a lot of help after the most recent surgery with the Activa yogurt. If you can tolerate milk products and can find it, milk with lactobacillus bifudus is also really helpful.

Other things recommended to me were biofeedback and acupuncture (for pain). I never tried the acupuncture and was sorry I didn't.