Seeking Advice for 97-Year-Old Relative with Colostomy and Dementia

Replies
Views
MOST52

I'm a lifetime member, having an ileo for 72 years but I am asking for advice regarding a 97-year-old female relative who has had a colostomy for 8 years. Her son is at his wit's end. He refuses to leave the house or let anyone else enter. Her MD refuses to issue authorizations for ostomy supplies because of not seeing her for 4 years, so despite having insurance, she is paying out of pocket. She can no longer take care of herself. Dementia is now very evident. Hygiene, ostomy management, and urinary incontinence make living at home no longer possible. Is there a way to get her into a SNF and get Medicare benefits despite having no primary doctor? It has reached the crisis point. I don't live nearby. Any input would be appreciated!

HenryM

States have laws permitting some form of application by the son to a court for appointment of the son himself, or a professional, as trustee, so the woman can be committed for her own good and her ostomy and other medical needs seen to by the institutional healthcare staff.  

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,520 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

MOST52
Reply to HenryM

Thank you, Henry. To your knowledge, is a conservatorship required or is this application available from Adult Protective Services or other agency?

HenryM
Reply to MOST52

I'm really not comfortable answering that as all states have different laws and procedures available.  You might want to take advantage of a local legal aid lawyer to point you in the right direction.  

CrappyColon

Any chance her son has any power of attorney?

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
MOST52
Reply to CrappyColon

No estate planning documents of any kind, unfortunately.

jeanneskindle

The California Aging and Adult Information Line is 1-800-510-2020.