Exploring Odor-Controlled Disposal Options for Colostomy Care

Replies
Views
Lilbet

Hello,

I've had my colostomy a little over a month, so I'm a newbie. I am very concerned about odor. I was looking today at garbage cans that are like a diaper genie, but use regular kitchen-size bags. Is it worth the expense? How do you deal with disposal?

Thank you,

Lilbet

Justbreathe

I use the freebie plastic grocery bags - I stockpile them in a tissue box under the bathroom sink - I know, I know, plastic is bad, but most of the parts and pieces are plastic as well - what's an ostie to do? JB

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,529 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Beachboy

I use a two-piece Hollister system. Pouches come in a box with disposal bags included. Bags are long, colored, and perfect for the disposal of used wafers and pouches. I drop them in, tie a knot in the bag top, and deposit them in regular trash.

Bill

Hello Lilbet. 
Thanks for asking a very useful and practical question.

Here in the UK there are at least two suppliers that I know of that issue complimentary wipes and disposal bags with each order.  These suppliers are Coloplast and Fittleworth. I am not sure if one or both companies are in the USA,  or if they offer the same complementary items over there, but it might be worth enquiring, as these companies boast that they will supply stoma goods to almost anywhere around the world (for when we are on holiday).
It might also be worth noting that these disposal bags are (almost) identical to the bags we can buy that are used for picking up dog-pooh - except they are a little bit stronger and they are scented.
When I was first incontinent our local council offered to supply me with a 'clinical waste' disposal box, which they would collect regularly. However, when I deduced that the content of these was being sent with the rest of the waste to landfill, I thought it was a waste of time and resources to have a separate collection service, and I have subsequently disposed of the waste in the appropriate landfill bin.
I have often wondered why some enterprising manufacturer hasn't switched from plastic by now, and developed  more suitable devices that can be disposed of by incineration, or biofuel generation.
Just a thought!

Best wishes

Bill

AlexT

I use the little 4-gallon trash bags that come in a big roll from Walmart. Tie it all up and throw it in the trash can in the garage. 🤷‍♂️

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
rlevineia

Hi Lilbet, most ostomy brands include 10 baggies per box. Not enough. I've tried Ziplock bags. No odor, but pricey. I was hiking on local trails and saw many doggie bag dispensers. Like the Progressive Insurance ads: Look gang, free bags! They work great. Four mil thick and black. Just tie the end off. Another plus: the bags in the box fit a container that I use on the go. I keep it in my ostomy travel bag, in my car. For long and remote hikes? I can put the container between my legs and empty as needed. Tie off the top. No mess or odor.

Mysterious Mose

I have a small waste basket in my bedroom that I line with small plastic bags. This is used daily for my Kleenex, of which I use a lot. When I change my appliance, I take the basket into the bathroom and deposit the bag and the dirty wipes into it. I then toss it into the garbage can outside. I don't often use grocery bags, as stores charge for them here. I find doing this is easier than dealing with the smaller bags Hollister provides with their pouches. :-)

Daniel

Lilbet

All so helpful. Thank you!

xnine

I use a two-piece Hollister system. Pouches come in a box with disposal bags included. I tie a knot close to the disposed bag and another at the top. I put it in the bathroom bin, then take it outside when full.

Na_a

I just use dog bags and double bag them (required here in Ontario). Then I put them in my building's garbage. I've left them overnight in my bathroom garbage (double bagged and then into the garbage) when I don't have the energy to trek down to the building garbage with little issue. I wouldn't leave it for longer, though. The pouch is emptied before I change it.