Rings

Replies
Views
infinitycastle52777

So I use rings with my 2 piece system. I recently got in the mail a sample pack from Hollister through my supply company. The rings they sent me were half as thick as the ones i use that are also Hollister. I am feeling shy to use them because they are so flat. Does the thickness of the ring matter as far as leaks? I am afraid my stoma will be able to get under a thinner ring. Any insights or experiences? My Ostomy Nurse that I had for a couple months after my most recent surgery always said "less is more" but she used to have me use only half a ring and it would always leak out the top. So I learned on my own to use the full ring. But if less is more is a thinner ring better than a thicker one? I had to change my bag tonight and I was going to try it but then I chickened out because I don't need another leak when I have a very full day tomorrow.

Lee

Beachboy

I've tried thick rings and thin.  I mold them quite a bit.  As I squeeze, they get thinner.  My stoma is oblong.  So I shape and squeeze them quite a bit and they get fairly thin.  Having a colostomy, I rarely have leaks.  I use rings so I don't have to precisely cut the wafer hole, and prevent its edge from tearing up skin at my stoma's base.  Especially when wearing a support belt.  So far, it has worked.  Except pushing down the hernia forces my stoma to prolapse a bit.  And when output occurs... I get an even bigger, little tummy mountain.  The joy never ends.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,529 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

infinitycastle52777
Reply to Beachboy

I have a ileostomy so leaks are always a concern for me. Is it hard having a stoma that isn't round? When I first got my current stoma (i had a relocation which gave me a different stoma) it was a little kind of oval in shape but within a month or so it turned into a round stoma. I don't remember what I did about it at the time, probably cut my wafer differently. With a colostomy is your stoma bigger then one for a ileostomy? I have a hernia too. I hear or have read that it is fairly common. I see my doc on the 7th to see what her take on it is. I am a little nervous she is going to recommend surgery. I've had 3 surgeries in the last (just under) 2 years. And I am in line for a gall bladder removal surgery next. So I am not looking forward to another surgery after that.

Lee 

Beth22

Hi Lee,

With the rings you said you were afraid that you stoma would fall under the thinner rings..? Did your stoma retract? With thinner rings on the contrary think of it this way the thicker the ring the more length of your stoma is taking away (not as long as without a ring) which let's face it we all need as much length as we can get . 

vegan2share

Hello everyone

my stoma retracted a fair amount, so I used rings.  Those sticky things that stick to your fingers, but I ditched them!

I’ve had the best luck with simple CONVEX appliance. Gently pushing down exposes more of the stoma and boom!  No leaks!!!

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Beth22
Reply to vegan2share

Yup I agree  to ditching the barrier ring with a retracted or even low stoma. All it does is create a wall and your output can't get into the bag you just puddle around the stoma 

Beachboy

Hi Lee, 

It's not too hard with an oblong stoma.  Just more effort cutting the wafer hole.  

AlexT

I’ve used both rings from Hollister and both work good. 

infinitycastle52777
Reply to Beth22

My stoma varies a lot in size and in how far it sticks out. Sometimes it is right up against my skin flat other times it sticks out an inch or inch and a half. It like grows and shrinks too when it is working on something and that is when it can go under the ring. Next change I will give the thinner right a try and see what happens. 

Lee

infinitycastle52777
Reply to Beachboy

I wouldnt like to have that then, I have enough trouble cutting wafers with right handed scissors (im a lefty) 

Lee