Leaks… from stoma mucous??

Replies
Views
JustMeRLB

Hi all, 

so I noticed today that one of the spots I have leaks the most is where the skin changes to stoma, but is still flat… so I guess I’ve been putting the barrier ring on top of stoma tissue that is producing the mucous.  Does anyone else have a similar story, or how to solve the problem. Essentially anything that has to stick down will come up because of the moisture already under there. 
:/ 

I have been having to change almost every  day. 
thanks for your help

Justbreathe

Question for you…is it mucus you are referring to or is it the barrier which breaks apart and falls into the bag and may look like mucus???  And when you say leakage is the output coming out of the bag and beyond all wax and staining the tape ?  I think I am confused (hah-that’s a joke- I AM ALWAYS CONFUSED!).  I wear a clear bag so I can monitor the path of output.  My barrier ring will occasionally break off and drop into the bag (looks like mucus) as a result of me not totally matching up barrier ring and bag wax when I secure the two together.  After a day or so I can see the barrier turning white- as it (the white) gets closer to the actual bag wax I feel compelled to change my “setup”, I do not wear my bag very long - I usually change it every other day (I am a bit of a clean freak) and I am sure I could wear it longer.  On change day I shower bagless and totally clean my belly.  I also rinse my bag frequently with water when emptying it and place a few drops of baby oil into the lower part of the bag then press it to the inside walls of the bag.  Recently I have added fiber powder to my diet.  This fiber and oil combo has resulted in less liquid output and forms a thicker output which can easily slide out and not “gum up” the inside of the bag - a clean sweep so to speak.  I think this routine has allowed me to avoid any skin issues and leaks.  jb (ileostomy)

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,621 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

IGGIE

Please, people on her are good but you need a stoma nurse or surgeon  to talk too. Get it sorted as soon as you can. Regards IGGIE

Rene
Reply to Justbreathe

Example of fiber powder, brand?  I am also a neat freak using clear bags, and rely on certain foods to achieve that effect. 

Mysterious Mose

Are you sure it isn't bile-softened stool? Is it a greenish color at all? If you are sure it is not bile related, you should talk to an ostomy nurse or your surgeon. Have you tried a convex wafer at all? That solved all my seepage problems. But, I agree with IGGIE. Talk to someone with ostomy medical knowledge.

Daniel

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
JustMeRLB

It’s not my output it’s the wetness that comes off the stoma that is causing me to leak 

Justbreathe
Reply to IGGIE

Maybe so - but it doesn’t seem most of us have been over-informationalized ( made up this word) on this site.  I agree with you if a question is of a serious nature and even then not many know if it is serious or not but much blood and pain I would consider serious - not all have the luxury of just chatting with an Ostomy nurse about leakages, at least not in my world.  Last time I chatted with 2 Osto nurses was about 3 years ago when they fitted me for a hernia belt.  I am not able to call a nurse or surgeon to answer frequently asked questions.  Just getting to meet with those two took a week.  
As a new and panicked ostomate just leaving the surgeon and nurses behind at the hospital in September 2020 - with no clue as to what just happened to me I was totally unprepared for what the next year of my life would require.  An to date, I have never been able to get over that fact or the fact that I knew absolutely nothing and could not have absorbed it mentally in those early days.  And 2 days  later I had to catch two flights home - so no turning back to those folks (docs & nurses) anyway.  Maybe in rural America the local Doctors and Nurses have more time to spend with their patients but in metro cities I can assure you this is not the case thus making this web-site a godsend for me.  And those willing to share their own experience without judgement are indeed priceless.  Look how many refer to your  Iggie Clip as an example….do you really think a doc or nurse would suggest this fix or even approve of it.  I doubt it and yet look, it seems some have tried it or came up with something which suited their needs based on your suggestion …. Just sayin’ - in my previous life (Wi out stoma) I didn’t even have a clue what a stoma was.  And even now I still don’t fully understand - colostomy, ileostomy, and urostomy  and the differences and challenges they present - but I do realize all are uniquely different and some may present more issues than others so generally we need to have more info when there are questions asked. 

Justbreathe
Reply to Rene

According to my kidney doc and many on this site fiber powder is not harmful and we apparently need it.  I don’t take meds so there would be no interaction with this product but you should be aware.  I recently commented on here my confusion over using it from the start as I always thought it was used for constipation and I certainly did not have that with an ileostomy.  There are many brands - the one I use is from Costco called Psyllium Fiber Sugar-free Powder by Kirkland Signature  in a little bubble cloud on the label it sez (Compare to Metamucil).  I had previously posted a pic but now am not sure if this site allows that.  jb

Rene
Reply to Justbreathe

Learned that the Ileostomy is the easiest of the 3 types of ostomies to deal with. 

IGGIE
Reply to Justbreathe

G-Day Justbreathe, I constantly hear on here how bad the service is for Ostomates and how they are sent home with no knowledge and not able to get help. Check if you have a Ostomy Club in your Area and if you don't Start One.

Also talk to your local political member and explain how bad it all is. You local Doctor could be able to point you in the right direction.

Start rattling some cages, remember it's the squeaky wheel that get all the attention. Regards IGGIE   Good luck JB