Loop Ileostomy question

Replies
Views
Past Member

Hello, 

I have a loop ileostomy because my large bowel doesn't work the way it should. It's reversible with the option of being permanent.

I have read that with both halves sticking out of you it is possible for stool to make its way occasionally into the large bowel.

I want to avoid this so I'm wondering if I can cut my wafer to cover the large bowel opening and only fit around the outputting small bowel.

Thanks I'd appreciate feedback

Beth22

Hi there,

One I am very sorry to hear that ,I myself had this issue ,my large intestine didn't work at all. Question Did they tell you how the loop ileostomy is made and why with a loop there's two holes? With a loop Ileostomy it's just the small intestine  there's one hole for your output and the other is to expell mucus it's pretty much  the small intestine folded in half and the tops opened up and brought out of the stomach  vs an end where you only half one hole and it's the end of the small intestine  brought out through the abdomen.And  normally they do a loop when there's a possibility of a reversal.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,611 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlexT

Good way to get replies, tell people to remove their post if it’s not correct. 👍🙄 Don’t worry, I won’t remove mine, save your fingers from extra typing. 

Past Member
Reply to AlexT

I'm sorry what?

AlexT
Reply to Anonymous

Lol, nice of you to delete your reply to Beth. 👍

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister