Ostomy/reversal/ostomy

Replies
Views
Sam54

I’ve had the ostomy bag , and had the reversal done ,,, when I was 65 , I’m now 70 ,,, but I’m constantly having BM issues just from sitting and standing. I’ve had 2 colonoscopy’s within the past year,, the first one for a regular colonoscopy ,, and the second one to check for radiation burns for being anemic , from pre-surgery. Has anyone gone from the reversal back to having a ostomy bag

eefyjig

Hi Sam, I have. I had a temporary ostomy in 2010 for ten months and then a reversal with a j-pouch. Three surgeries in ten months. I dealt with the j-pouch for five long years until I opted to have a permanent ostomy with barbie butt in 2015. Best decision I ever made. My quality of life improved dramatically and I think I did more in the first year than I had done during the previous five. Only you can answer the question regarding how much you want to take, how much you're willing to accept as okay. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have and I'm sure you'll get more responses.😊

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,611 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Mysterious Mose

Yes, there are people here that have gone back to a back after being reversed for a number of years. IGGIE comes to mind. You can search for his posts. He was just here a bit ago.

Daniel

Beachboy

Thanks for your post Sam.  Sorry you're having complications with BM.  I'm 65 with a colostomy.  Reversal was offered by my surgeon, but I declined.  

Hope you find relief.

Axl

Same here as eefyjig , was the best outcome for me.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Justbreathe

Hey Sam54

As you can see by the responses there are different comments based on each individual’s experiences which become the “bottom line” - pun intended…..we are all so different but yet shared feelings are welcomed and helpful to all.

Part of my decision to not reverse was what you are experiencing- once you have experienced major surgery it (my ostomy was my first experience) opened my eyes as to how I really felt about “the rest of my life” in terms of benefits and downsides of a reversal.  

To me BENEFITS MEANT a complete success and I would be totally back to the way I was before this emergency surgery to remove a cyst.  

To me DOWNSIDES meant all the unknowns.  These became more of an issue than the bag on my belly as my reversal date was constantly being pushed out to a future date and life itself was returning to normal.  I am still able to have a reversal but have chosen not to do so unless some complication causing severe pain rears it’s ugly head.  Best wishes to you and whatever you choose. jb

Kimmy050263

I am looking at a reversal on March 15th of this year.  I am very curious to know how things are going to work. One step at a tme my friend.