Stoma reversal

Replies
Views
JSD

Hi all. I've had my stoma (colostomy) since last September. I'm looking at stoma reversal and all I'm coming across online are horror stories. I'm really worried. Would love to hear from anyone who has had a reversal. Thanks

Differentclass

Hi. I’m in the same position as you. Had emergency surgery and woke up with a colostomy in September! Seem to be all the rage at the moment! I am on the waiting list for a reversal now. Had all my pre op assessments just waiting now. There are loads of people on here who have had a successful reversal and are so  encouraging. I am scared too but determined to try. I feel fortunate that I have the possibility of reversal. Best of luck to you.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,529 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Kimmy050263

Hello, I am scheduled for a reversal mid March!  I am not sure what to expect, but will be talking with my medical team when the date gets closer.  I still have some tests to pass before I get the green light.  I am really looking forward to it!  Has been a journey for me that started back in October.  

Newhere

I had my reversal in August last year, After about 7 months with a stoma. I had a perforated bowel due to divertculitis, Everything went well and I was back to normal quite quickly, 

DexieB

I had my reversal Jan 30…it went great, no issues,  the plumbing still works!

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Pamw

Hi JSD.  I'm in the same boat and share your fear.   Back in September, I was recovering from TNBC breast cancer (one of the worst types), double mastectomy and undergoing chemotherapy.   

Five days after my third round of chemo, I had been having terrible belly pain which I and my doctors thought was "chemo belly."  In fact, it was discovered that I had several diverticulitis perforated pockets filling my abdominal cavity with crap. 

I went septic, was in critical condition, underwent emergency surgery at 3 am in the morning and woke up in intensive care unit with a stoma.   In December, I developed a large parastomal hernia which surgeons said needed surgery, but I wasn't healthy enough to undergo a repair.

I have an appointment with a gastro surgeon in March to see if I'm a candidate for a reversal and parastomal hernia repair.  I've been told that since all this happened 5 days after a chemotherapy session, my bowel resection might never be trustworthy.  Chemo attacks all fast growing cells .... cancer cells, hair cells, and yes, even cells trying to mend the resected bowel.  

It's a frightening thought to even contemplate the possible complications of a reversal.  But at the very least, I need this painful pia parastomal hernia fixed, which would mean creating a new stoma on the other side of my belly and repair the old stoma and parastomal hernia site.

Glad I found this website.  Wish I had the finances to become a full osteomate member but still trying to dig my way out all the bills.   I take comfort reading the various posts because I realize I'm not alone on this journey.  My husband has been a great source of comfort and help.   I would be overwhelmed by all this without him ... so I also feel for those osteomates who are single.   It's not an easy row to hoe under any circumstances.