Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates Support | Friendship | Relationships

Clothes

Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:09 am

Hello all, 

I am new to the ostamy life. My concern is how to dress going forward. I have always worn low rise pants and shorts. So I'm wondering if anyone has had issues with clothes after the surgery as far as going back to work and just being in public.

Deanna 

These are the top 5 issues ostomates face:

1. Dating and relationships
2. Concealing the pouch
3. Foods to eat and avoid
4. Losing or gaining weight
5. Pouch ballooning

Check out this video from MeetAnOstoMate.
Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:39 am

Are you open to overalls? Walmart has them and they look good on the models.

Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:20 am

Hello Deanna.
What clothes we wear has always been a matter of personal choice, both before and after surgery.
I like to think that I have never been in 'fashion' and appreciate others who feel the same way. Thus, I go for functionality and comfort and do not take a lot of notice of what other people ‘might’ think.
I am with Xnine in wearing overalls for work and leisure, as these are comfortable and functional in that, the ones with full-zip fronts give access to the stoma without having to disrobe. When I first turned up for work in overalls instead of a suit, it was probably a bit of a shock to people who had known me for a long time. One person was quite upfront and asked ‘”Why the overalls?” I replied that I had a stoma to ‘nurse’ and this was the easiest garb to achieve that end. I also followed through with the comment that I did not see them as much different from my ‘normal’ suits as their alternative name is a ‘boiler-suit’. Nobody has ever questioned it since and, I presume the word got around as to the reasons.
I also had the idea of converting a ‘suit’ with a waistcoat, so that the waistcoat attached to the trousers and acted in the same capacity as braces. This has not materialised yet as I have not had the necessity to wear a formal suit in years.
My wife wore overalls for years before her retirement and now, I have the opportunity of commandeering these for my own use. Fortunately, we are not that different in sizes and hers always seem more comfortable than the ones I buy.

Like Xnine says: they look good on the models – so why should they not look good on us?
I view clothes as a bit like the food we eat, and the activities we engage in; Whatever you feel is right for you ---is right for you! Don’t let other people (or things like stomas) dictate the way you live your life.

NB: 'Onesies' were all the rage over here in the UK for a while and I could not really see any difference between them and the overalls. (except of course, the outrageous price difference!) 
Best wishes
Bill

Past Member
Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:34 am

Is there any reason why you can't wear what you did before having a stoma, does the waist band come right over your stoma, or is it you feel everyone can tell you have an ostomy. 

My stoma is high up same height as belly button so I can wear anything 

Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:02 am


Bill wrote:

Hello Deanna.
What clothes we wear has always been a matter of personal choice, both before and after surgery.
I like to think that I have never been in 'fashion' and appreciate others who feel the same way. Thus, I go for functionality and comfort and do not take a lot of notice of what other people ‘might’ think.
I am with Xnine in wearing overalls for work and leisure, as these are comfortable and functional in that, the ones with full-zip fronts give access to the stoma without having to disrobe. When I first turned up for work in overalls instead of a suit, it was probably a bit of a shock to people who had known me for a long time. One person was quite upfront and asked ‘”Why the overalls?” I replied that I had a stoma to ‘nurse’ and this was the easiest garb to achieve that end. I also followed through with the comment that I did not see them as much different from my ‘normal’ suits as their alternative name is a ‘boiler-suit’. Nobody has ever questioned it since and, I presume the word got around as to the reasons.
I also had the idea of converting a ‘suit’ with a waistcoat, so that the waistcoat attached to the trousers and acted in the same capacity as braces. This has not materialised yet as I have not had the necessity to wear a formal suit in years.
My wife wore overalls for years before her retirement and now, I have the opportunity of commandeering these for my own use. Fortunately, we are not that different in sizes and hers always seem more comfortable than the ones I buy.

Like Xnine says: they look good on the models – so why should they not look good on us?
I view clothes as a bit like the food we eat, and the activities we engage in; Whatever you feel is right for you ---is right for you! Don’t let other people (or things like stomas) dictate the way you live your life.

NB: 'Onesies' were all the rage over here in the UK for a while and I could not really see any difference between them and the overalls. (except of course, the outrageous price difference!) 
Best wishes
Bill

Thank you Bill, I do appreciate your reply. I have never worried about what people thought of what I wear and won't going forward.I am just looking to be comfortable and not put pressure on the Stoma area.

Deanna

Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:10 am


Anonymous wrote:

Is there any reason why you can't wear what you did before having a stoma, does the waist band come right over your stoma, or is it you feel everyone can tell you have an ostomy. 

My stoma is high up same height as belly button so I can wear anything 

My stoma is a little lower than my belly button. Since I'm home still, I have just been wearing a day shirt and or jammie shorts. 
I did have an appointment the other day and I wore elastic waistband that was below my stoma. That was comfortable. 
Deanna

Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:52 pm


xnine wrote:

Are you open to overalls? Walmart has them and they look good on the models.

Oh God no Xnine!!!! No overalls lol 😂 

Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:30 pm

isn't she cute

Are overalls back in style 2021?

This summer season many women tend to wear cool-hipster looks, bohemian clothes and retro inspired workwear by implementing overalls into their new looks. That means one thing- they are back in trend. ... My personal favorite is the overall that is ideal for wearing without anything underneath.

Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:08 pm


xnine wrote:

isn't she cute

Are overalls back in style 2021?

This summer season many women tend to wear cool-hipster looks, bohemian clothes and retro inspired workwear by implementing overalls into their new looks. That means one thing- they are back in trend. ... My personal favorite is the overall that is ideal for wearing without anything underneath.

I do have to say she looks adorable! Most people can't pull that off though lol! Maybe if your tall, skinny and wearing heels lol 😂 

Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:22 pm

Hi Deanna,  You sound like you are about the same as me if your stoma is a little lower than your bellybutton.  The only real change I've made since becoming an ostomate is that I don't wear waist high pants anymore because it feels uncomfortable and puts too much pressure on my stoma.  I wear low rise pants and jeans, so my stoma is not under pressure and then just tuck the end of the pouch into the pants.  I don't wear tight fitting tops very much anymore and look for loose or blowsy tops that are long enough to cover everything.  I do occasionally wear something that is tighter fitting, but when I do, I wear underpants that are sort of like Spanks, they come up very high and are elasticized to make your abdomen more flat.  This is usually just for special occasions, and I'll change back into my 'comfortable' clothes as soon as I'm home.  You will find that patterned fabrics are better than plain colours at hiding the appearance of your pouch.  You shouldn't have to make too many changes to your wardrobe.  I found that I tried a lot of my old clothes, thinking I wouldn't be able to wear them anymore, but found they were fine.  Hope this helps, good luck!

 

Terry

Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:51 pm


delgrl525 wrote:

Hi Deanna,  You sound like you are about the same as me if your stoma is a little lower than your bellybutton.  The only real change I've made since becoming an ostomate is that I don't wear waist high pants anymore because it feels uncomfortable and puts too much pressure on my stoma.  I wear low rise pants and jeans, so my stoma is not under pressure and then just tuck the end of the pouch into the pants.  I don't wear tight fitting tops very much anymore and look for loose or blowsy tops that are long enough to cover everything.  I do occasionally wear something that is tighter fitting, but when I do, I wear underpants that are sort of like Spanks, they come up very high and are elasticized to make your abdomen more flat.  This is usually just for special occasions, and I'll change back into my 'comfortable' clothes as soon as I'm home.  You will find that patterned fabrics are better than plain colours at hiding the appearance of your pouch.  You shouldn't have to make too many changes to your wardrobe.  I found that I tried a lot of my old clothes, thinking I wouldn't be able to wear them anymore, but found they were fine.  Hope this helps, good luck!

 

Terry

Thank you Terry, I have my 40 year high school reunion this weekend and was wondering what to wear that would be comfortable and undetectable of my bag. I do like the idea of a Spanx, that way I could wear a comfortable dress and not worry about anything around my waist. 😁

Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:01 pm


Dlynn wrote:

Thank you Terry, I have my 40 year high school reunion this weekend and was wondering what to wear that would be comfortable and undetectable of my bag. I do like the idea of a Spanx, that way I could wear a comfortable dress and not worry about anything around my waist. 😁

Enjoy your reunion!  😊

Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:33 pm


Dlynn wrote:

Thank you Bill, I do appreciate your reply. I have never worried about what people thought of what I wear and won't going forward.I am just looking to be comfortable and not put pressure on the Stoma area.

Deanna

Flynn I feel you!

My concern was putting pressure on my stoma. I wondered if it would still be able to function properly. I've since learned that a little pressure doesn't interfere with mine. I'm mindful to keep it emptied.

I'm in the middle of attempting to patent a clothing design just for us.

If I get patent pending status I will be able to make it known.

E& I

Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:50 pm


Dlynn wrote:

Thank you Terry, I have my 40 year high school reunion this weekend and was wondering what to wear that would be comfortable and undetectable of my bag. I do like the idea of a Spanx, that way I could wear a comfortable dress and not worry about anything around my waist. 😁

Hi again,  There are some companies who make clothing for ostomates, one is Ostomy Secrets, you will find their website if you google it.  There are others, I'm just trying to think of their names, will advise if it comes into my head!

 

Terry

Axl
Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:01 pm

Hi D

I wear suit pants everyday for work, my stoma is lower than my navel. I use a convex appliance and my belt goes straight across my stoma. The stoma spends most of the day withdrawn or retracted and nothing is affected. It just works without any problems.

At first I hitched my pants up above the stoma for fear of injuring or causing some problem but eventually I realised the belt straight across my stoma was not an issue, but suit pants are a light weight garment and the belt isnt crazy tight. On weekends If i wear jeans I just use braces under my shirts and T-shirts.

Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:58 pm

My stoma is below my belly button. I never liked pants tight on my sromach so I still just wear pants with elastic waist bands. I wear long shirts on the outside. I wear my pouch between my underware and my pants and it does not put pressure on my stoma. I also keep a little air in the bag.

Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:29 pm

As far as clothes, I wear yoga pants, leggings, and A line dresses. Yoga pants come in above and below the belly. Since getting my ostomy I wear them above, it supports the bag plus the stretchy fabric allows the bag to expand without undue pressure.  I've given up wearing pants with a front zipper also, but then again I had a horrific time healing. Good luck.

Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:33 pm


xnine wrote:

Are you open to overalls? Walmart has them and they look good on the models.

I'm still laughing at this one!!!..........Thanks X!!

Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:42 am

oh yes I still do - hard to deal with large chest and bulging bag!  I miss my skinny jeans(wear stretch only now) and the big over shirt makes me look pregos,  So no fashion statement here.

Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:11 am

Hey xnine what you call overalls if the picture is what you are referring to we call them dungarees xx

Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:33 am


Caz67 wrote:

Hey xnine what you call overalls if the picture is what you are referring to we call them dungarees xx

Because they have a bib and straps. They come in other fabrics and colours.

Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:01 pm


Caz67 wrote:

Hey xnine what you call overalls if the picture is what you are referring to we call them dungarees xx

Or Bib & Brace

Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:16 pm

Hi, Deanna!

I've been wearing maxi dresses, A-line long, flowy skirts, and palazzo pants with long tunics since my surgery.  One World clothing (sold on SHOPHQ.com) has really nice items - totally LOVE their palazzo pants & long tops.  Very comfortable and doesn't put any pressure on my stoma.

I agree with Terry:  patterns are a terrific way to camouflage a "stoma bump".

Enjoy your Reunion!

Lily17~

 

Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:36 pm


xnine wrote:

isn't she cute

Are overalls back in style 2021?

This summer season many women tend to wear cool-hipster looks, bohemian clothes and retro inspired workwear by implementing overalls into their new looks. That means one thing- they are back in trend. ... My personal favorite is the overall that is ideal for wearing without anything underneath.

Yeah, she is.......but the bibs have NOTHING to do with that.  She could be wearing a whiskey barrel and still be cute.  Focus brother......focus!

 

;0)

bob

 

 

 

Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:55 pm

Omg Bob you are sooooo funny , but you're onto something there! 🤪

Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:39 am

The big problem with overalls / coveralls at least for woman is you almost have to take the whole thing off to go to the bathroom and if you are in a public bathroom room the strips can easily drag across the nasty floors. A strapless romper might work better.. one unit and no straps.

Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:28 am


Maried wrote:

The big problem with overalls / coveralls at least for woman is you almost have to take the whole thing off to go to the bathroom and if you are in a public bathroom room the strips can easily drag across the nasty floors. A strapless romper might work better.. one unit and no straps.

Good point Maried!  Of course with the world being what it is these days.........some have thought of this and there are solutions.  If you search for women's bibs and include words like "pee" or "back flap" you'll find some incorporate a side zipper, that let's you keep the suspenders attached (to hold up everything from falling down and hittin the floor) but allows you to slide the bibs to the side so you can squat and pee.  These first appeared in women's ski bibs, but the trend has moved more mainstream and is now featured in some regular women's bibs.  Men's bibs can be found with a back flap that unbuttons so you can sit on the toilet.  I've got an old pair of them around her somewhere that I was considering adding a front flap to, so I could easily dump my bag without undoing the suspenders.  So bibs can work........you just have to like the "Green Acres" look.......which some don't.  

 

regards,

bob

Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:53 am


w30bob wrote:

Good point Maried!  Of course with the world being what it is these days.........some have thought of this and there are solutions.  If you search for women's bibs and include words like "pee" or "back flap" you'll find some incorporate a side zipper, that let's you keep the suspenders attached (to hold up everything from falling down and hittin the floor) but allows you to slide the bibs to the side so you can squat and pee.  These first appeared in women's ski bibs, but the trend has moved more mainstream and is now featured in some regular women's bibs.  Men's bibs can be found with a back flap that unbuttons so you can sit on the toilet.  I've got an old pair of them around her somewhere that I was considering adding a front flap to, so I could easily dump my bag without undoing the suspenders.  So bibs can work........you just have to like the "Green Acres" look.......which some don't.  

 

regards,

bob

I do like bib overalls. And looking for the most easy access and comfortable situation when using the bathroom to go potty or empty my bag.And although I do like them and would like some easy access ones going forward. I don't want to wear them every day. :-)

Axl
Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:46 pm

Many years ago the the leading hands where I work wore white bib & brace overalls.

One day I drew this on the back of one of them when he wasnt in, was hilarious .....

 









Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:33 am


w30bob wrote:

Yeah, she is.......but the bibs have NOTHING to do with that.  She could be wearing a whiskey barrel and still be cute.  Focus brother......focus!

 

;0)

bob

 

 

 

Hey X.....see what I mean...........still cute!!!

 

 

 

regards,

bob

* Please, do not post contact information, personal information or advertising.
All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Currently online: 34    
3 members & 31 visitors