Weight gain/loss after ileostomy

Replies
Views
NICUMOMMY3

I have a question regarding weight gain and weight loss for the community who has ileostomy’s or something similar. After getting it done how was your weight throughout it recovery and your weight now after some time after. Is it hard for you to gain weight? Please share your stories, it would be helpful to get some insight! 

AlexT

I don’t have an ileostomy but the answer will vary a lot because of so many different situations. 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,529 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

kittybou

I left the hospital at 96 lbs in Aug. 

At 110 now with healthy eating and a few gummy bears😸🥳

Kimmy050263

I have a colostomy.  I was initially losing weight, but finally seem to be eating more and have put a few pounds back on.  I am back to my original weight when all this started.

Kim

gentlejohn

Have you recently had a colectomy?  I have a ileostomy and following surgery I was about 20-30 pounds under my usual weight and very weak.  I was feeling better without my colon though.  It was searching out searching out 1,000 calorie meals.  Now my weight is back up & stable.  Now I might eat half a sandwich for lunch.  Of course I continue to exercise daily.   

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
infinitycastle52777

With my initial ileostomy i lost 20 pounds but that was how much my colon weighed when they removed it. I lost another 20 pounds afterward for lack of eating much and from just struggling to heal. After several months I gained some back. Then I had a relocation surgery and I lost 20 pounds again, but over the last 10 months I have slowly gained that back. Of course I am taking a pill, for a different reason, that has the side effect of weight gain and increased apatite, and I have gained 10 pounds in 3 months because of that. So there are a lot of variables to weight gain and loss with an ostomy. 

Lee

Downtown

From my perspective, having an ileostomy has not changed anything for me in the weight category.  Over the years I've gained and I've lost weight, but not because of the ostomy.   Diet and exercise - just exactly what the doctors have told us for years.

Andrew353w

I had an emergency ileostomy in October last year, after which I spent over 3 weeks in hospital of which 5 days were in intensive care. It was an experience I shall never forget, for obvious reasons!  I entered hospital weighing 13st 3lb (84Kg in new money) and on discharge I'd lost over 3 stone, but I'm happy to say that I've put on quite a bit and now weigh 12st 5lb (79Kg) I eat carefully, little and often, and the learning curve regarding my stoma was a very steep one, but things have sorted themselves out now, and I now eat pretty well what I want, when I want. I do weigh myself every morning, after emptying my stoma & night catheter, and note any significant movements.

AlexT
Reply to Andrew353w

Can your weight vary so much weighing yourself daily? Maybe weekly but daily seems a little overkill. 🤷‍♂️