Adhesive Problems

Replies
Views
emiliatomaszewski8

I am 6 months in and I feel like I just got out of my 3 WEEK hospital stay.  At first I was having terrible leakage problems and I still do at times.  Now the issue is making this 'appliance" adhere to my skin; especially at the top.  I have tried lying down when I change my bag but this needs the assistance of some one else.  I have also tried standing up when applying, sitting down, etc.  I empty frequently for I have a very active ileostomy but also I don't want the weight to pull on the adhesion.  The placement of my stoma is directly under my right breast and I wonder if that is an issue.  I am sure that the site is dry when applying but lately, I live in fear of leakage.  In all honesty, I thought by now I would be over all of the inconveniences but they still remain an issue.  I feel like I am "hermitaizing" and not wanting to go out just in case.  Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Heppy8

I got a tip from coloplast of warming the adhesive flange with a hairdryer to soften the glue before applying. Works a treat

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,529 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

aTraveler

Sometimes it happens. 😕 It has been three months since I got my ostomy. It is also located on my right side perhaps a little lower than yours. Due to skin, anatomy, or who knows what but my adhesion would always come loose at the top. This happened with both ConvaTec and Hollister appliances. The solution for me was flange extenders. I am currently using ConvaTec Ease Strips. The Hollister strips for me adhered well but were too difficult to remove. Both of them have the curved strips whereas Coloplast has curved as well as straight strips. You will find many vendors sell flange extenders and they all offer free samples so you can see which one works best for you. If that doesn't work for you torbot.com sells :

1) skin tac adhesive barrier liquid  https://torbot.com/product/skin-tac-adhesive-barrier-liquid-4-oz/

2) torbot liquid bonding cement https://torbot.com/product/product-375/

If none of this works for you try medical tapes.

ron in mich

Hi Emilia i use convatec prod. and by the time i gotta make a change the top of the wafer is starting to  get loose so i get pink nexcare brand tape from walmart and tape around the edges.

Morning glory

Welcome to the site. Make sure that your skin is completely  dry and free from any soap or oily residue. I use a blow dryer on warm and low. Then you can use a no-sting skin-prep. I use Smith &Nephew ref# 59420600. Your insurance  will cover it.  If you are using the stoma powder make sure it is wiped in well. A little dab will do you. Blot with the skin prep. Then make sure that it is dry( using the hair dryer again). This makes a tacky surface. You have good ideas from the others so just try and see what  works best for you.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
AlexT

To me it sounds like the weight of your bag(gravity) is pulling the top of your bag loose. I guess if you have really big boobs those could be pushing it down too. 😁 Anyway, do you use any type of belt or wrap to support the weight of the bag so it doesn’t pull on the adhesive part as it gets heavier? How about using a barrier ring for additional adhesion or the flange extender thingys or tape to help hold it also like others mentioned? 

Kimmy050263
Reply to AlexT

The barrier rings have been a game changer for me!  My bag does sit in the middle of my belly, but am really crinkly there from surgery.  Using just the bag I was getting lots of leaks, but once we started using the barriers, no leaks from the sides.  I have also started placing a barrier on the underside after day 1.  Is all a learning curve to see what will work for you.

emiliatomaszewski8
Reply to Heppy8

I have heard that before as I was browsing around.  It's just that it is one more thing to do when changing the bag.  Unfortunately, even after 6 months in, I am having trouble just comprehending that I have an ostomy and will for the rest of my life.  It's just a mental block I guess.  But if this adhesion thing continues, I will have to resort to things such as you mentioned about the hairdryer.  Thanks for responding.

emiliatomaszewski8
Reply to ron in mich

Hi there, I use Convatec too and I like it so much better than the Hollister brand they gave me in the hospital.  I have been using surgical tape but your idea seems to be an inexpensive way to help.  Thanks so much

Mysterious Mose
Reply to emiliatomaszewski8

Warming the skin barrier with a hair dryer may be an extra step, but it is one that should not be skipped. In the hospital, I was told to hold my hand over the bag for 5 minutes after application to warm the barrier. Using the hair dryer is so much more efficient and reliable. That and a dry skin are two of the most important steps in an appliance change.

Daniel

Kimmy050263
Reply to Mysterious Mose

I agree with Daniel.  Doing whatever you need to do to get things to stick, no matter how long it takes.  I had many issues early on.  Thanks to the tips on this forum, we are getting into a rhythm and finding what works and what does not.  No rushing when it comes to changing the bag.  It is a step by step process.

infinitycastle52777

First do you use a ring? That can help with leaks. Second you can get wafer extender strips that you can put over the wafer to help with things sticking to your skin. I use ease strips sometimes if the wafer starts to peal or not stick.  

Tommy123

Hi , I had a big problem with leaking in the begining 3 times in 1 night before because I was washing the area down with soap or wet wipes when changing my bag. but My stoma nurses had originally told me in hospital to only use the sterile water from little bottles or Luke warm water boiled from a kettle then use DRY wipes and just air for 5 minutes, this is the most important part of the process I think to make sure your bag sticks. I should have listen to them in the first place because soap and other cleaning product make the area too slippy for them to stick to even if they are 100% dry.  After that, correct size hole, barrier ring the same size as the hole then elastic tape around the bag, there known as donuts and bananas because that's the shape of them I think I few people will know what I'm on about. I know everyone bodys stoma are different and people have there own way but I've found this to be full proof, . If your stoma is leaking liquid out whilst doing this you really need to wait till it stops because even a little part not dry enough can unstick when your moving your body. I've tried to change my bag so many times in the beging because I tried to rush it as liquid was coming out.  Hope this helps 

kayakkaren941

I had the same problem until an Ostomy nurse suggested the Brava Protective sheet. It comes in a couple of sizes. You will have to cut a hole into the sheet the size of your stoma. This is the first thing that goes over your stoma. Then use your preferred products over it.  I use the 6 x 6" because i have a large stoma and because of previous hernia surgeries, my abdomen is not flat.  It has several areas where the height changes.

No one told me about this product until recently and I am almost a year out from my emergency ileostomy surgery.  It has made a huge difference.

I hope this helps you.