Tips to get fabric of base on without wrinkles?

Replies
Views
JVM261

I have been struggling with wrinkles with the fabric of the base plate. If I unstick it to pull it up I loose adhesive ability. Any tips?Wrinkle in base plate fabric.

aTraveler

Smooth as you go; that is, smooth as you begin pulling away the paper. Sometimes it still wants to gather at the end. I eventually learned to take all the paper off and then place the baseplate down. Works really good for me. I have had to lift the fabric in the past, when doing that I would put down a little skin tac to ensure the fabric would adhere again.

https://torbot.com/product/product-175/

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,540 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

xnine

Do you sit or lay down? You could try flange extenders and just cover it up.

JVM261
Reply to aTraveler

Thank you! Didn’t know that that was a thing, I heard the name, but I thought it was another name for the paste between barrier and bag that some use.

JVM261
Reply to xnine

Sit. I can try that, yes.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Hisbiscus

I just have to be very careful. Take your time. Remove all.paper first and carefully put out on while watching in the mirror. Sometimes it's still going to go on wrinkled as we forget to take things slow and be careful. 

AlexT

1) stand up

2) start at the bottom and use both hands to pull fabric tight as you work your way up each side 

3) at the top you can usually finish it off with just pushing it down with one finger

4) rub your finger/hand around fabric surface to seal it down down completely 

5) a little wrinkle here/there isn’t worth stressing over

Beachboy

I use Hollister 2 piece.

I hold the wafer against my stomach (side opposite my stoma), for a minute to warm it up.  My stoma is oblong and tilted.  Wafer hole has to roughly match it.  So I always have the mm side to my left.

I align the wafer so mm side faces left, pull off plastic backing.

Fold the wafer fabric sides outward away from my body.

Place wafer onto stoma.

Press top fabric tape section to my skin.

Press bottom fabric tape section to my skin.

Lightly pull down the right side paper tape backing.  Align and press this tape section to skin.

Lightly pull down the left side paper tape backing.  I have a paristomal hernia.  So my left stoma side bulges out.  I pull the fabric tape taunt and apply it to my skin lightly.  Big creases I smooth out best I can.  Then firmly press the fabric tape into place.  I use a fingernail to tamp down creases.

I usually end up with 2 big creases and a few small ones.

I hold the wafer down with both hands for a couple of minutes.  Snap on bag and I'm done.

Creases don't cause any problems.  I change wafer every 7 days.

IGGIE

I use the Hollister base with paper tabs on the two sides. I start with the paper tabs to my left and right and the adesive top and bottom, press the top first and smooth it out then the bottom. I now peel the paper off the left side and pull it evenly and smooth it down, Now peel the paper of the right side and smooth that down. Now run your fingers all round the base pushing as you go. Now place the bag onto the base plate. Once it is all connected place your hand over all of it and let the heat of your hand do the final adhesion. Before I place the base plate on I spray a light mist of Welland Barrier Spray and let it dry, this really helps it all stick together. Now put the Base on as described above. Good luck. Regards IGGIE

IGGIE
Reply to Beachboy

Looks like we do the same procedure BB. I very rarely get a crease. Hope your having a great day my friend. Regards IGGIE