Advice for Traveling with an Ostomy and Choosing a City Break

Replies
Views
daveo

Hello, I was feeling in a sort of time for a holiday. I'm recovering well from my surgery and I was browsing city breaks and weekends in New York. You know all the things you wanted to do but couldn't as you were unwell. I've posted to ask two things. One, what's it like on a plane with an ostomy? I've read it just balloons don't want to float away...
Also, any advice for travelling abroad? Oh, and a third thing, where to first! I'm thinking small, maybe a city break. Sell your city peeps!

David.x
Primeboy
Here are a few answers, Dave, based on my experiences. (1) Your bag will not balloon on a plane, so put that fear out of your mind. (2) Make sure you keep some ostomy supplies and meds with your carry-ons since luggage can get lost. (3) NYC is great in December. Go see the Nutcracker at Lincoln Center and/or the Christmas Show at Radio City. You will need to shop around for the best lodging rates and show times as things aren't cheap in the Big Apple. We have had good experiences with an outfit called Starrtours which provides short city breaks in NY. Check them out on the web. Good luck! PB
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,358 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

MrBillYTO
Hi David,
It has been my experience that being on a plane with an ostomy is no different than being on a plane without an ostomy...really. I live in Canada and since getting a colostomy 6 years ago, I have flown to Europe several times, to the Caribbean, around the U.S. and within Canada multiple times without any event with the bag.

Like Primeboy says, depending on how long you are traveling for, carry all or at least a few days' worth of your ostomy supplies. Except when I was going to Europe for a 45-day stint (where I checked 3/4 of my supplies), I always carry them all as carry-on luggage. It's not something I want to have to waste time trying to find at my destination if it's in my checked luggage and it gets lost.

Have a great time wherever you end up...just end up somewhere!
Bill
vanebob

Hi
I've traveled the world and as everyone else says, it's no different to not having one, so don't worry and go book your flight. I bought a large pencil case and use it a bit like a man bag on planes. It has adhesive spray, a small magnifying mirror, wipes, bags, and disposal bags. It's been really useful. I wouldn't check my supplies in my suitcase either, always carry enough to get by in the cabin luggage.
Have a good trip.

dulcimerman

Hi Dave, sorry I can't advise at this moment in time, but I have an ileostomy and urostomy, and it's now been 6 years. I've been too scared to travel much.
However, I have a wee trip arranged for this weekend. I'm flying from Glasgow to Belfast. It's only a 1-hour flight, but it will give me the courage to travel further afield later.
I will post a blog next week for you as to how I get on.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Past Member

Dave, you go "flyboy", and have a great time! The boys are right. As an old (not THAT old) ostomate, I travel and have not had a problem during the last 11 years.

Gothfairy

I flew for the first time in August and was petrified that something would happen on the plane or I would get stopped by security and asked about what I had stuck to me. Trust me when I say I was worrying over nothing.

The security check was fine, I just walked through with everyone else and the flight was fine. I did have to empty my bag on the plane which I found a little bit awkward as the toilet was particularly small but it wasn't a major issue.

Enjoy your traveling.

aHappyGirl

Security may pat you down - they did me after I went through the new security check machine at Newark. It was no biggie, no questions asked. Not that I wouldn't have minded - it's a normal part of me. Anyway, so empty it before you go through security. Also, like the others say, carry a small toiletry bag on the plane with you. The plane ride is fine. I usually prefer an aisle seat because of my high-output (jejunostomy). Have fun.

JonnyW

The anxiety levels are a bit higher as you can imagine being on a plane with a stoma
than without one. Never drink fizzy pop. I myself avoid tea and coffee too. I stick to water and
if I want to be super safe, take an Imodium.
Use the washrooms before you get on the plane and don't eat too much a few hours before the flight. Bananas, apples are great as snacks and kill the munchies for a few hours. If it's a long flight, then I relax more. You will have plenty of time on board to use the plane washrooms but avoid eating or drinking anything that will cause gas in the bag.
As for security, I have had my doctor write myself a short letter with their signature explaining
my condition with the Ostomy and also state in the short letter that any security searches should be done privately. I have handed the doctor's note to security before and it did help the situation. But if you explain to security, please be careful, I have a stoma. Most know what it is. Or at least will ask you to explain and be understanding.
Sell my City! Ottawa, great trails, Gatineau Park is awesome, Algonquin Park is better, but it's too cold in winter. I would head to the beach in Florida given half a chance.
Happy Hols

Past Member

What a great website this is! It's filled with help and advice from such loving, caring people. I really feel that I'm among kindred spirits. Thanks to all.

Teddiee

Not a good idea to eat apples, mushrooms, pineapple, sweetcorn or any possible blockage-inducing foods for at least 48 hours before embarking on a long journey. A blockage situation is the most vital situation to avoid - at all times of course, but especially during traveling!!!