Using a moldable wafer with stomadhesive pase

Replies
Views
twinkie

My stoma has changed size and I'm going to try a moldable convex wafer to fit to my stoma size well.

I've been using a precut wafer with duradhesive convexity and I use stomadhesive paste on the wafer to allow for a longer lasting seal.

I've watched the videos for application of the moldable wafer and it looks like you're not supposed to take off the release paper until you've ready to put your wafer on, so I don't see how I can put stomadhesive paste on the moldable wafer?

Any suggestions are welcomed!

AlexT

It’s a stoma….you Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome. Nothing is exact with these things. 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,631 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Kas

I don’t use paste, but you can take the film off of the wafer long enough to apply your paste.  Ideally your wafer should be warm like body temp for best adhesion, so warm it up, slap on your paste and then apply as usual.  Good luck!

aTraveler

I always take off the release paper before applying the wafer to my skin — I find it easier to apply that way. I use a barrier ring instead of paste though. The barrier ring works well with the moldable convex wafer. The barrier ring itself is moldable creating a tight seal around your stoma. 

iMacG5

Hi Twinkie.  I think you might not need any stomahesive paste when you use a moldable wafer.  The size of the wafer opening should be a little smaller than the stoma.  That means we need to "roll back" the inside circumference to allow the stoma through.  The rolled back part of the opening will try to return to its original shape and, in doing so, will seal the space between the stoma and the wafer.  All skin will be protected.  An Ostomy Nurse would be very helpful.

Please let us know how well you do.

Respectfully,

Mike

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
iMacG5

I also use a hair dryer to warm up the wafer before applying it.

Please know that a lot of us "experts" here are still learning through experimenting and sharing with others.  We also need to remember we're not all the same and what might work perfectly for one might not work that well for another.

Wish you the best,

Mike 

RiverS
Reply to aTraveler

I also use a barrier ring with the convex flange.  Quick and easy. And holds very very well.