Watery output in the morning - normal??

Replies
Views
specialk

I had my ileostomy surgery about a month and a half ago and for the most part everything has been smooth with my ostomy and output. But every morning for the first few hours my output is very thin and mucousy. I don’t drink caffeine and for breakfast I usually try to eat bread or something to thicken output. Is this normal for anyone else?

weewee

you have a lot of changes going to happen since your in the beginning of your healing everybodys body is different, and how thier body handles the healing. everyone is trail and error, there will be things that some can do, but you cant. just remember to try in small amounts dont over do anything oh yea the only thing normal is the cycle on the washing mashine

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,646 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

CrappyColon

Sounds normal for time of day… are you able to eat anything that thickens a little more… something oat based (oatmeal, cheerios) ,banana, potato ? How do you do with dairy? 

Kimmy050263

My output in the morning is ALWAYS watery!  And the bag can fill up fast!  I have a pill I have to take in the morning, I have started to wait until I get to the office to take it, thinking perhaps the water and benefiber were causing me to fill up on the way to work.  But nope, does not matter the day of the week, I am all liquid in the morning!  I just deal with it.   Actually, easier to expel the liquid than the mushy stuff. 

specialk
Reply to CrappyColon

Dairy has been fine for me, and I feel like I’ve tried multiple thickening foods for breakfast (bread, applesauce, peanut butter mostly) but the watery output seems to happen regardless. I haven’t tried oatmeal yet so that will be my next step I guess 🤷🏻‍♀️

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
specialk
Reply to Kimmy050263

I unfortunately have a second lumen at the top of my stoma, so when my output is watery I’m extra more likely to have a leak 🥲 but I have learned that sometimes when I drink a little Imodium before bed it can help prevent the watery stool, I just don’t want to drink it every night 

CrappyColon
Reply to specialk

How do you feel about Rice Krispies treats for breakfast? I feel like the homemade type could be slightly better for you than the premade but… diet is very individual. Don’t worry there are others with (hopefully) more food suggestions than me. Cheeseburgers have become their own food group to me and I can’t tolerate high fiber. My dietician has me keep animal crackers with me (my family is super jealous of my diet). Not sure of the reasons for your ileostomy so you may/may not have worked with a dietician? 

Beth22

Agreed with Stoma is going through changes, and it is going through changes and will continue to do so for awhile before you get to a normal.it is adapting and so is your body. In the meantime take it slow with food your stoma swelling just went down and your body and stoma has to acclimate to foods all over . In time you will find out what you can and can't eat. Everybody's body and stoma is different when it comes to eating different foods.

mattnice
Reply to weewee

Probably totally normal, but no harm in asking your nurse.  I have had the same and asked many many questions.  I hope your life is improved with your ostomy!  

kittybou
Reply to specialk

I just found out there is a packet that you can put in your bag that turns output into a gel. My supply angel told me about it. Might look into that.. 

Milhouse04

It's normal, first few hours in the morning are liquidy yes. Thickens up as the day goes on

AllieKIM

That happens to me too and I’ve had my ileostomy for almost two years.  It’s just fluids that build up in your body.  You could ask your surgeon but to me it’s normal.

harry113
Reply to Kimmy050263

My Mayo Dr's told me that you want an oatmeal consistency in your output if possible at all times. I have not achieved that yet. Metamucil is better than benefiber for me and I take 2 heaping teaspoonfuls 4 t d.