Stoma retraction surgery: Seeking advice!

Replies
Views
angelafeatherstone
Hi, I would like to know if anyone has had surgery on their stoma? My stoma keeps retracting into my stomach, which is very painful. I had my ileostomy 2 years ago (Crohn's).
My surgeon is operating on 31.10.2011, but I don't really know what she is going to do!

Angie
gutenberg
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,473 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

angelafeatherstone

Thanks for your reply. I will let you know in a couple of weeks then, unless anyone else can help.

pussycat
Hi all.

I'm on my third stoma in eight years. The first one was described by my Swedish lady surgeon as a perfect little rosebud. With all the best intentions, the little flower was not happy to be anything more than a bud and was happier in than out. That was replaced by a not so pretty, but more effective version when the first surgery on my way to a reversal was performed. I had a period of eighteen months, stoma-free, during the last phase of reversal, but since it didn't work, I finally ended up with my current companion, which goes from vast to almost nonexistent depending on its mood, I presume. On each occasion, it has been part of major surgery, but from what I understand, it is a little more complicated than just unstitching, pulling out a bit more intestine, and stitching it back up again!!!! Must be something wrong with me because I find that concept really quite funny. Best wishes for the op and the future.

Marilyn

Plus a hi to Gutenberg, I must get around to replying to your very kind post.
angelafeatherstone
Hi Pussycat,
Thanks for your honest reply. I hope I do not have as many problems as you have had, but nothing ever seems to be straightforward for me either! At least I am a lot healthier this time than when I have had previous surgeries. I will let you know how I get on.

Angie x

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
pussycat
Hi Angie,
I wish you all the best for the 31st, but why don't you phone your consultant's secretary?
The hospital switchboard will put you through by just giving the surgeon's name and ask if you can have some further details on the surgery to put your mind at rest.
If the surgeon is worth his salt, he'll at least give you a ring.

Once again, best wishes.
Marilyn
angelafeatherstone

Hi, I have had my surgery and had my stoma re-formed. It is working well and not retracting now. Thanks for all your help x

pussycat
Hi Angie,
It's been a while since your surgery and I was just wondering how your new friend has settled down.
Best wishes, Marilyn