Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,179 members

Imodium Or Loperamide?

Go to page: Previous  1, 2

Posted by dround, on Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:21 pm
New to this group so my first post. My own personal experience of this issue is that I've only tried Imodium once since my ileostomy and I ended up in hospital with a scary blockage.

However, I took it because I had a high liquid output and stomach pains and it seemed a sensible thing to do. However, in all probablility I had a problem with the blockage anyway that my consultant thought was probably connected with adhesions. Since then I have steered very clear of using Imodium. I think I've read that taking it has its risks for people with an ileostomy and it is probably not a good idea if you have a high output as it probably means that the  small intestine is responding to a blockage by producing lots of fluid to try to shift it and the Imodium acts to damp this down.

However, some people have clearly taken it without problem and we are all clearly different. However, the pain I had with the blockage was the worst I've ever experienced but then I am only a bloke and I am sure lots of women would say that nothing beats childbirth!

David

Reply by Tony, on Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:14 am
I have been using Loperamide since my ileostomy in 2006 on my doctors recomendation, I only use it when things get a bit sloppy 2 morning + 2 at night this usually does the trick, I also have a bowl of porridge every morning which gives me a smooth discharge.
Hope this helps
Best regards  Tony

Reply by Past Member, on Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:37 am
I use loperamide to help slow down my ileostomy. My onocologist prescribed it for me. That said, beware it can cause pancaking due to thick output. Take only 1 and don't forget to drink lots of fluid to prevent dehydration.

Reply by Mister 1976, on Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:19 am
Ho ho ho David
Imodium is Loperamide so if Doc has advise use it get it on prescription matey.  I use it as and when needed - although that is quite often due to Spina Bifida and lack of spinal sense in digestive system.  I need to take maximum if I've had a lot of chocolate - so stocked up for Christmas.

Reply by Past Member, on Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:28 am
AS an ETRN I have seen many ileostomates use Immodium with helpful results--thickening watery stool and slowing of transit time. I have to encourage them to go slowly- and legally they need to ask their physician first--but small people use 1 tab (2 mg) in the AM and 1 tab in the PM and watch consistency of output. Larger people may need more tablets but need to observe the results at all times- stopping Immodium if stool becomes too thick--and diet certainly effects this.

Reply by ilsn2u, on Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:11 pm
When I had my surgery in December of 2006, my WOCNs told me to take 2 Immodium 4 times a day, which I continue to do unless I happen to eat a lot of thickeners (potatoes, bread)--then sometimes I cut back to 6 a day instead of 8 a day.  In any case, as an ileostomate, and the loose stools that come with that diagnosis, I can't imagine why you can't take Immodium.  And loperamide is the generic name for Immodium...same exact stuff.  Immodium works by slowing down the output...I take something else to help thicken the output (also told to me by my WOCNs).

Reply by reddog, on Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:38 pm
Had an ileo 1yr. ago. I've found that taking 1 to 2 tablespoons full of Metamucil or other brand of psyllium thickens my output very promptly. I also found that apples, applesauce, pears, and bananas work well too. You have to keep a high level of fiber in your diet. Works for me.

Reply by nick sands, on Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:04 pm
same medicine loperamide is immodium

Reply by gutenberg, on Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:29 pm
Strange thing that: I know some people who refuse to take loperamide and will only take Imodium and there's no way in hell I can convince them they are the same medicine, its always one works better than the other so now I leave that topic alone and besides if my doctor prescribes loperamide I don't have to pay for them, can't beat that.

Reply by nick sands, on Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:08 am
all the hell u have to do is look on immodium package it says active ingredient loperimide it is the chemical name immodium is just a brand name all meds have chemical name and generic meds are often referred to by chemical name.with all of the nurses that are on site iam surprised no one has said anything e.g. warfarin chemical name coumadin is trade name,anti-coagulative.

Reply by gutenberg, on Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:47 am
I think you nailed it Nick. It has been my experience if you have a good relationship with any pharmacist they will go out of their way to help you through the maze of trade names and generic ones. I'm reminded of a situation quite a while ago when I had asked the pharmacist for a bottle of Tylenol No. 1, and she asked in a low voice if I didn't want acetaminophen No. 1, and when I asked her what the difference was she whispered "about 200%'', well now that's something I picked up on real fast.
I'm reminded of a show I watched on TV by an investigative reporter, he took you through the process of manufacturing Vitamin C, and as these pills were coming out of the machine and being deposited in these brown bottles, and these bottles had no labels on them and so he followed the production batch to another plant where all these different labels were put on the bottles and shipped to different outlets, and then the fun part, each store had a different price for the 100 tablets, ranging from $3.99 to $14.99, then when he went to talk to the head of the company that was charging the $14.99 it was an interview to behold, it took all my willpower not to laugh but this man talked and talked and tried to explain why their product was better, even after being shown the footage of the tape of the process, but this guy really had his shit down good and wouldn't admit that they were just ripping of people, a really good program and the other two things that got a shit kicking were car batteries, same process, 300 to 600 cold amps, same battery different label, and the other object of his investigation was mattresses, $499.00 up to $1200.00, talk about expensive labels. Ed

Reply by lilac, on Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:08 pm

Hi Lilac, I live in the next town over from Oceanside.  We are the same age and seem to share the same problems.  I too am a bit of a recluse.  It is hard to be social when you are so aware of your "bag related issues".   I have tried believe me.  I could tell you many stories of my attempts at normalcy and what  has occured.  I am married and have 2 children and 4 grandchildren.  The kids and grandkids are my life and I see them rarely.  One set due to divorce and the other set because of distance and teenage social life.  Its hard and depressing.  I too have an in home business and spend most of my days lonely.  I would love to get together with you for lunch and chat.  Let me know if you are interested and we will arrange something.  Nananed 

Go to page: Previous  1, 2
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.