Removal of rectum

In this discussion
Replies
Views
grandy
Why do so many folks need to have the rectum etc. removed afer their stoma ops?
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,101 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

mooza
mine was from the rectum being in a lot of pain from (pin hole) size rectum due till severe rectum pain and leaking in other words it was nearly completly wasted away RUINED and was told to get it out ...Wish i didnt now butttt to late ..mooza .. (my reasons only) not sure bout all the others lets wait and see xxx mooza
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
SallyWillard
I had to have mine removed due to fistulas caused from Crohn's Disease. I had 5 fistulas that were constantly leaking and getting infected. Major pain and irritation. They removed all but 1 which they missed. Now I only get @ 3 or 4 infections a year as opposed to constantly. They told me there is no sense keeping the rectum if it's not attached, it could eventually lead to cancer. And I was not a candidate for reversal.
Past Member
Mine was because i had UC throughout my colon including the rectal stump. I was given a choice at the time of my op of leaving the rectum or removing it. If i had left it, i would still have had UC in that area, still have needed the meds and run a risk of it becoming cancerous. Reversal was never going to be an option for me anyway, so it was a no brainer really.DD
Past Member
Same here had my rectum out 18 months after stoma op. was always getting infections one after another,lots of pain discharge natsy thing it was.Also was told could lead to cancer in rectum if it was left in. Had many years of it trying to heal still have discomfort and pain but nothing like i had befor. My desease was crohns so i too wasnt a candidate for reversal....ambies...

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
DH
Both my rectum and anus was removed due to rectal cancer. If they didn't remove those parts, my cancer would come right back.
Sandy
I had to have mine removed due to fistulas caused from Crohn's Disease. No more fistulas
ilsn2u
Had mine removed at time of surgery for ileostomy--I had ulcerative colitis and it was rampant in the anus, so if it wasn't removed, I'd still be suffering from UC. Another no-brainer!
Derek48
Yes well i'm like some of the ladies above, Crohn's 1995, lots of fistula's and fissures right pain in the butt, no pun intended! (High risk rectal cancer), The disease had spread so much that i was NOT given the option to hold on to my rectum, most of the large bowel removed colostomy and rectal removal that was Sept 13, i'm still having a lot of post surgical pain, told me it was to be expected. Reversal is a no-goer for me. Learning to cope.
kbd
Fistulas and abscesses. Doc asked if I wanted it removed or try for reversal later, I didn't have to think twice--gone forever. Wanted nothing more to do with all the pain, fevers, and general torment it caused me with Crohn's disease.
KBD
Past Member
Hi,

I thought UC affects only colon nowhere else. I have UC, too. I am looking forward to have reversal.
TB Cat
Depends on the reason for the ostomy. If the ostomy is permanent due to colorectal cancer, than it makes sense to remove the rectum and anus due to the probability of the cancer returning to that area.
Mine's gone for this reason but I think anyone getting a permanent ostomy should consider this removal unless they think they would enjoy returning to the hospital for another surgery! As for me....enough is enough!!
TB Cat
Depends on the reason for the ostomy. If the ostomy is permanent due to colorectal cancer, than it makes sense to remove the rectum and anus due to the probability of the cancer returning to that area.
Mine's gone for this reason but I think anyone getting a permanent ostomy should consider this removal unless they think they would enjoy returning to the hospital for another surgery! As for me....enough is enough!!
wolf
I had it removed at the time of my Iliostomy having being assured that this would prevent further infections in future.
Past Member
Mine was removed because it had a stage 3 cancer in it. Strange thing was I had no symptoms other than having to rush to the toilet at the last minute. I had few problems until after the first 2 years when adhesions presented and then problems ever after until January 2010. 2010 saw me in hospital for 4 months with 7 weeks in ICU in an induced coma. My loving wife had a very hard time of that.

I have Irrigated every 48 hours since 2004 after chemo and radiation had been completed and this procedure saved my sanity. Yes, I have named the Stoma, Etna after the volcano. It is an appropriate name, it seldom erupts but when it does it is a disaster.

Douglas
JRP
I still have my recturn; however, my surgeon wants to remove it because he says I have a stricture. I am getting a second opinion. I cannot have a reversal as I have Crohn's Disease, but I would like to keep it. If anyone knows of another reason that it makes sense, let me know.
kinder
I had UC and have a permanent ileostomy but still have a rectal stump. Not sure why my doctor didn't remove it while he did the ileostomy except that I was so weak and the operation took so long I may not have made it if he had continued. Now I do have mucus every day but no problems. Occasionally I have bleeding which is caused by diversion colitis and I use rectal suppositories called Canasas until it heals. I have to have a rectal scope once a year to check the lining of the stump to make sure it is not cancerous. I would rather have the scope once a year than to go back for another operation. I've heard it takes quite a while to heal and since everything is going well and I feel back to normal. . .
don't want any more problems.
Nanc
reddog
Hi,

Had an ileo due to UC.Had colon,rectum,anus removed. No problems. No regrets.I think it's the best way to go.

Thanks
blueeyes52
I to had my colon removed 3/9/11 cuz of uc colitis and now i have a permanent ileostomy. But they did not have time to stitch up my rectum and still having problems with bleeding and pain. Last Friday Dec 9Th i had a Flexible sigmoidoscopy with Biopsy/Polypectomy. Now have to use enemas for a week or 2......Inflammation was found from the anus to the sigmoid colon secondary to proctitis. This was biopsied......i just don't feel good at all .

Thanks
blueeyes52
JRP
Years ago, before surgery, the medication they prescribed was a very small enema which you hold in all night. Strangely it didn't bother me to do this and it did help. Maybe you could ask your gastroenterologist if this would be helpful.
blueeyes52
Got the Biopsy/Polypectomy back on Friday i still have uc colitis in my rectum. I either do the enema's and get another flexible sigmoidoscopy in 1 year or i can get it removed and get my rectum stitched up. Not sure what to do yet. Because as of right now it's very uncomfortable.
Past Member
blueeyes, other than the fear of going through further surgery why would you not want to get the rectum removed. I was lucky to have all the surgery in one go, but the whole point was that i wouldnt have UC anymore, i wouldnt worry about leaks, wouldnt needs meds or examinations, and wouldn't run the risk of cancer in my rectum.
Now, here are the reasons i can think of for not having the surgery....erm?, ahh?, Mmm?, actually i can't think of any!!! But thats just me and we are all different.
Past Member
Hi Dast awwww your comment got deleted as i was changing my pic sorry.. when i looked theres wasnt a comment on there.. feel free to post again ..lol ambies
blueeyes52
Well when i had my surgery on march 9 they could not finish because my lungs collapsed so they had to hurry and do what they could. Now i have to through it again.
Pinky
Hi Blueeyes - I still have the "rectal stump" and also had severe proctitis and a rectal ulcer back in 2004 after my first colostomy was reversed. I had 72 sessions of hyperbaric oxygen treatment for those problems and it helped! Eventually though I strictured and now have a permanent colostomy. When my rectum would bother me (pain, etc) I used hydrocortisone suppostitories which were helpful.

Now I have 2 fistulae between my bladder/colon and bladder/rectum and will probably have to have it out. In the past when I asked my surgeon why I retained the stump he said because the removal is such a big operation (and this was after 11 hours in the OR doing my colostomy and fixing all the holes in my small intestine!)

So I guess you and I are looking at some big OR time again ;But we will persevere!
Falcon5
My doctor didn't give me a choice...he described what my life would be like if I tried to keep my rectum and it didn't sound very pleasant....he did it all at once..I had phantom pain from the amputation of my rectum for months, but now it is just the way I am. Even after ten years I feel like I walk around with a big "C' on my forehead, advertising that I am plumbed differently, then when I mention it to someone they act like they never noticed...it's all in my head!
Past Member
I had a total collectomy and ileostmy done about 30 years ago. My surgeon told that my bottom was so diseased and riddled with fistulas that it all had to come out. Only problem for me as a guy is that I cannot get the traditional digital exams for prostate check ups. I have mixed emotions about that. : )
blueeyes52
I talked to my surgeons nurse last Thur and she had talked to the surgeon he wont remove my rectum cuz my lungs collapsed and a lot was going wrong the first time and he wont let me die on the table i cant work just don't when its going to flare up and to make it to the bathroom in time. I have to call them back. Well the nurse called me today and said if i go see a lung Dr and if they OK for me to have surgery then my surgeon will do it. Its complicated moving to Omaha and my insurance company is for Des Moines IA. So not sure what i'm going to do

Thanks for everyones help

blueeyes52
belissima
Good morning granny. i recently had my rectum removed a year ago, due to a rare colits, in my recat stump. my illeostomy will be 7 yrs od this year, in february. the body tires to keep nutrition supplied to areas still left after removal off the entire colon, like in my situation. i sufferedfor 7 years off misery, till a smart dr. at the mayo clinc in rochester minnesota, figured what no drs, here inl las vegas could get. it is a very complicated adominal surgery. i was 47, when this was done. hardest surgery to overcome. i was strong, but my body suffered due to other major health problems. if they find it important to remove they will. but your lungs must be strong. for its just as hard as when they removed my colon at 40 yrs old. If you have any more questions write to me, and i will answer more in detail about everything. take care. sincerly belissima.
blueeyes52
My DR wont remove my rectum cuz he don't want me to die on the table but he said i can go see a lung DR and get checked out to see if my lungs can handle another surgery. But have not done it yet. I am in network with my Med Inc in Des Moines,Iowa and i moved to Omaha Ne and now i'm out of network so now it is a BIG hassle. So still bleeding and still depressed kinda makes me
blueeyes