Old Films Over New

In this discussion
Replies
Views
kenkd

I watch a lot of flicks. Let's face it. Television is a wasteland of 'reality shows', soapy drama, cop shows, CSI shows. I mean, enough already! I hardly ever turn my television on anymore. They (the people behind broadcasting) are not as clever as they used to be with their brainwashing.

That's where watching films comes in. I prefer films made before 2000, although there are a few nice films of late. I am a big fan of Alfred Hitchcock in the area of suspense, and often times I'll judge a newer 'suspense' film based on how innovative it is compared to the works of the master. I am also a very big horror movie fan (as in George Romero's Living Dead series), but many of the so-called horror films coming out today wouldn't scare a two-year-old.

What I don't like are the remakes of classic films (The Taking Of Pelham 123 for example), films about comic book heroes, any film that features Morgan Freeman as the 'head man' (what a waste of talent!), Brad Pitt films, and sequels to blockbuster moneymakers.

I often write reviews online at various sites (Netflix, Helium) on films I've watched. I don't write with a lot of fancy mumble jumble about the 'director's vision' and all that. You know, the film either sucked or it didn't (from the viewpoint of a non-brainwashed individual).

That said, I will post to this new category on occasion short critiques of some of the latest films, and I will recommend some old films you may have missed.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,093 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member
I'm with you there! All the newer movies, after 2000 or so, rely heavily on effects and not on plot, or even acting. I am a huge fan of cheesy 80s movies, older comedies (Airplane!, The Blues Brothers, etc.), and movies from the 60s and 70s as well. You just can't get a better car chase than Bullitt, and Steve McQueen was the man! It really kind of irks me when people rave about Gone In 60 Seconds. Most don't know that the one with Nicholas Cage (he's just annoying) was just a remake of the original by H.J. Halicki made around '74 or '75, another great car chase movie - and Halicki not only directed and acted in it, but he did ALL of his own driving and stunts. Let's see Cage do that!

Okay, I'm better now that I got that out. Back to your post. You are correct that the horror movies now just don't scare. I like the older horror movies that can creep you out because they have enough "this could really happen" mixed in with extraordinary plots, like Willard or Cujo. I remember watching a movie when I was a kid (in the '70s) and it shook me a bit. I can't remember the name, but there was a scene where a man was going downstairs into his basement. There were little creatures like monkeys with big heads waiting for him. Once he got on the stairs they knocked the lights out and pushed him to his death. Now that made me think every time I went down to our basement!

Paul
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
bearcat

Do y'all remember "The Thing" starring James Arness (of Gunsmoke fame) when they found this monster frozen in ice and it came alive when they thawed it out? Dogs bit one arm off, and as the people were studying it, it began beating on the table. Well, a lot of folks got up and ran out of the movie about that time, and I must admit it scared the hell out of me at the time.