Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates Support | Friendship | Relationships 22,6K + members

Tattoo around stoma

Welcome to MeetAnOstoMate.org
Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:52 pm

Has anyone on here had a tattoo done around their stoma? If so, did you have any problems?

I'm having one done on 1st feb and the only thing I'm a bit dubious about is the chances of my colostomy becoming active while the guy is doing the tatt. 

Fingers crossed everything will be fine

Kezza

 

Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:29 pm

Good luck with that tatt!

Best wishes

Bill

Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:36 pm

Good luck I don't think I could handle that. I have always had a big fear of needles. Now I have to stick my finger everyday to check my sugar. Luckly it is a fine needle. I think I would rather use the pouch covers there are so many designs. Have you picked out the design you want to have done?

Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:38 pm

Kezza,

 

Have you talked to your doctor about or perhaps already tried irrigation? Many with colostomies have success with it.  Anyway, I might be more concerned about crusting of the tattoo surface during the healing process which would cause adhesion issues if the tattoo will go under the wafer. 

Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:26 pm

a tatt around the stoma? hmm. that would look pretty cool..  like a sun burst.. or a set or eyes looking out... a volcano!!    what did u have in mind? I admire your courage to get one there.. that's got to be most sensative area rated -pg of course to have one.  ow the pain.   i am curious to hear from others what they put there. kudos.  

Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:46 pm

Not for me! I've already had enough needles & blades in me!

Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:56 pm

Here is a link to a page Bob started about tattoos back in Oct thought you may want to lookn at it,  https://www.meetanostomate.org/discussion-forum/viewtopic.php?t=10174

Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:33 pm

I am not sure what the risk is when one puts a wound on top/or close to o a medical procedure.  My ostomy had to be moved so I could irrigate. You are young - can you find another place to put it?  Sometimes the first ostomy site is not there forever. I would consult with you doctor - just my first thoughts:) Good luck to you. Karen

Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:58 pm
kmedup wrote:

I am not sure what the risk is when one puts a wound on top/or close to o a medical procedure.  My ostomy had to be moved so I could irrigate. You are young - can you find another place to put it?  Sometimes the first ostomy site is not there forever. I would consult with you doctor - just my first thoughts:) Good luck to you. Karen


very very good advice karen.  i would be concerned about infection.. but exactly where, how close, and type of tatt would also concern me..  i hope the guy doing it knows his......wait for it..... shit. 

Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:11 am

OUCH!!  are you sure you want to go there..I would be afraid to get a tatt anywhere...but there....hell no..lol

Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:44 am
lovely wrote:

Good luck I don't think I could handle that. I have always had a big fear of needles. Now I have to stick my finger everyday to check my sugar. Luckly it is a fine needle. I think I would rather use the pouch covers there are so many designs. Have you picked out the design you want to have done?


Yep I've chosen the design, just got to hope I can sit through and that it turns how I want it! Lol

Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:45 am
Mark1070 wrote:

Kezza,

 

Have you talked to your doctor about or perhaps already tried irrigation? Many with colostomies have success with it.  Anyway, I might be more concerned about crusting of the tattoo surface during the healing process which would cause adhesion issues if the tattoo will go under the wafer. 


I'm waiting to have follow up appointment with surgeon on 30 jan to ask about irrigation. I used to use it before stoma so I want to start again.

The tatt will be going outside of the water area so it can still be seen with bag on

Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:47 am
warrior wrote:

a tatt around the stoma? hmm. that would look pretty cool..  like a sun burst.. or a set or eyes looking out... a volcano!!    what did u have in mind? I admire your courage to get one there.. that's got to be most sensative area rated -pg of course to have one.  ow the pain.   i am curious to hear from others what they put there. kudos.  

It will be a mix of roses, spider web and black widow spiders (I love arachnids) and will go outside of wafer area. Fingers crossed it turns out ok! 

Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:48 am
Bill wrote:

Good luck with that tatt!

Best wishes

Bill


Thank you!! 

Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:49 am
lovely wrote:

Here is a link to a page Bob started about tattoos back in Oct thought you may want to lookn at it,  https://www.meetanostomate.org/discussion-forum/viewtopic.php?t=10174


Thank you! I shall have a look at that! 

Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:51 am
warrior wrote:


very very good advice karen.  i would be concerned about infection.. but exactly where, how close, and type of tatt would also concern me..  i hope the guy doing it knows his......wait for it..... shit. 


My colostomy was placed with the knowledge that I wanted to return to irrigation after stoma, stoma nurse says she doesn't believe I will have any issues, so fingers crossed.

 

I've spoken to several tattooist before choosing one so hopefully all will go well.

Thank you for the advice though!! 

Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:54 am
britathrt60 wrote:

OUCH!!  are you sure you want to go there..I would be afraid to get a tatt anywhere...but there....hell no..lol


Lol yes I'm sure! I have several already but I feel this will help me to regain some of my self confidence. Tattoos are not to everyone's taste I guess lol

Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:06 am

Kezza,

 

  So let me get this straight....The tattoo will be on the peristomal skin under your wafer and going outwards past the wafer?  Or on the outside of the wafer portion?  It would probably be best to irrigate before the procedure.  But I suppose you could always use a non lubed condom to go around your stoma if you're getting it under the wafer.  I'm sure healing and avoiding infection would be a challenge.  Keep us informed and let us know how it turns out.  And of course, we'll want pictures...lol

 

Bain

Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:35 pm
NJ Bain wrote:

Kezza,

 

  So let me get this straight....The tattoo will be on the peristomal skin under your wafer and going outwards past the wafer?  Or on the outside of the wafer portion?  It would probably be best to irrigate before the procedure.  But I suppose you could always use a non lubed condom to go around your stoma if you're getting it under the wafer.  I'm sure healing and avoiding infection would be a challenge.  Keep us informed and let us know how it turns out.  And of course, we'll want pictures...lol

 

Bain

It will be about an inch away 1 1/2 - 2cm away from outside edge of wafer and going outwards. Bag will be on when I have the tattoo done. 
Just hoping it's a quiet day in regard to output! 

Lol yeah I'll post a pic of it when it is done

Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:27 am

Ah, ok...lol.  I got a little concerned there for a bit.  I'm sure it will turn out great.  And I wouldn't worry about the output.  Just let the artist know ahead of time that it might make some noise.  Personally, I'm a 12 year old boy when it comes to fart noises.  At least it won't stink...lol

Bain

Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:09 pm
NJ Bain wrote:

Ah, ok...lol.  I got a little concerned there for a bit.  I'm sure it will turn out great.  And I wouldn't worry about the output.  Just let the artist know ahead of time that it might make some noise.  Personally, I'm a 12 year old boy when it comes to fart noises.  At least it won't stink...lol

Bain


This true! At least theres a positive with having an ostomy!! Lol 

Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:55 pm
NJ Bain wrote:

Ah, ok...lol.  I got a little concerned there for a bit.  I'm sure it will turn out great.  And I wouldn't worry about the output.  Just let the artist know ahead of time that it might make some noise.  Personally, I'm a 12 year old boy when it comes to fart noises.  At least it won't stink...lol

Bain

LOL NJ Bain so you laugh when you hear a fart...I have an  ileostomy so it doesnt make loud farts...just gurgley noises which i tell people is my stomach growling...oh my gosh you made me lol with your post..

Ange

Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:26 pm
britathrt60 wrote:

LOL NJ Bain so you laugh when you hear a fart...I have an  ileostomy so it doesnt make loud farts...just gurgley noises which i tell people is my stomach growling...oh my gosh you made me lol with your post..

Ange

 

I usually cough or clear my throat  LOL Not sure if anyone believes me or not.



Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:30 am

LOL....Happy to oblige ladies....I'm here all week.  My ileostomy will make both gurgley and fart noises depending on what I eat or drink....Like beer....great fart maker...lol

 

But yeah, fart noises make me laugh.  And I miss them occasionally.  But I don't miss having to run to the bathroom to avoid an accident.

 

Bain

Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:42 pm
Mark1070 wrote:

Kezza,

 

Have you talked to your doctor about or perhaps already tried irrigation? Many with colostomies have success with it.  Anyway, I might be more concerned about crusting of the tattoo surface during the healing process which would cause adhesion issues if the tattoo will go under the wafer. 


That's exactly what i was thinking , if you do irrigation , you will have no problem to do your tattoo. I do irrigation since 2 years now and i do not have  no problem most of the time. Godd luck from Quebec, Canada :)

Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:31 am
Shitt Happens wrote:


That's exactly what i was thinking , if you do irrigation , you will have no problem to do your tattoo. I do irrigation since 2 years now and i do not have  no problem most of the time. Godd luck from Quebec, Canada :)


I only had the surgery in november, I'm seeing the surgeon for my post op check up the day before and will be asking if I'm ok to start irrigation. However this appointment is the day before having the tattoo :) 

Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:18 pm

I have never had that done but knowing people who have had to relocate their stoma, for some reason, would that be wise? Perhaps a temporary tattoo.  That way you can make a change. I don't know. Have you consulted with your doctor?

Do what makes you happy,  miss-t

 

Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:33 am

Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:35 am

It won't let me upload on my right side but yes I have my whole stomach tattooed now and ribs.    It not pleasant but anything is possible.  Keep your head up :)

Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:37 am

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.
All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Currently online: 26