Leaking Problems

In this discussion
Replies
Views
girlygirl

Can any urostomate tell me if they have leakage from the bladder that obviously isn't there anymore! But I've been told my urethra was left in (wee pipe). I've got to go for a scan, really don't want more surgery! Anyone in the same boat, so to speak. Thanks.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,099 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

IamSam
Hi GG, I hope I'm not too late to provide an opinion on your issue. I apologize for not seeing your post until now, but I have been out of town.

I do, however, need a little more information on your situation. I know you stated that you no longer have a bladder. Depending on the individual's diagnosis, the bladder is not always completely removed. Are you certain that yours was? Even in cases where CA is involved, only marginal resection may be required, indicating only a partial cystectomy. You may have a significant amount of your bladder left. If so, this could explain the drainage.

The main question that might reveal the source is, what color and consistency (viscous, watery, etc.) is the discharge from the urethra?
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
gracie in texas

Dear GG: I have drainage after my urostomy. The drainage is nearly clear. It seems like it comes from my urethra, but it might not. I think I have a small fistula. This might be the cause of your drainage, too. They can test for fistulas. My docs don't want to do anything about mine as they think the cure is worse than the problem. You will have to have your drainage assessed to determine what, if anything, needs to be done. I hope this helps.

girlygirl

Gracie and Iamsam, thank you for your reply. All I know is that my urethra was not taken out. The discharge you mention is sort of light brown or just sort of pale yellowish color. I always have to wear sanitary towels, which I hate! Do you have to wear pads, Gracie?

gracie in texas

I do have to wear what we call panty liners. It is annoying. My leakage is not heavy, but if yours is, I would most certainly contact my doctor or nurse. You might bring in evidence of your leakage so they will know what you are talking about.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister