Bowel movements after surgery - should I be concerned?

Replies
Views
quiz

Hello, I just need some answers about having bowel movements. I have had my ileostomy for 2 years with only some bloody mucus coming out. But on Feb 1st, my doctor went in and scraped the walls of my rectum. But now I am having bowel movements, and what I am eating is coming out there and not so much in my ileostomy. I have only had to empty the bag 2 times with only a bit in each time. Should I go to the hospital or will it pass? Any help would be appreciated. I am a little worried.

Primeboy

I have an ileo too and I would absolutely not expect to evacuate any longer through the rear door. You can't have it both ways. Something seems very irregular and I wonder whether or not the surgery completely shut the door. What does your surgeon tell you? Does his/her explanation seem reasonable? If the regular bowel movements continue, I would seek a second opinion. Good luck, Quiz.PB

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,465 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Dave_Canada
I have to agree with Primeboy on this one. I have only had my ileo for 9 months, so I am not as experienced as some of the folks here, but what you are describing seems highly irregular.
In my case, my surgery was an emergency, so there wasn't time for the usual prep and clean out beforehand.
As time went on after my surgery, I had cramps and the urge to pass that way. When I consulted my surgeon, he told me that it was normal in my case as there were still contents in my bowel. He wasn't concerned and suggested an off-the-shelf enema if I really felt like being rid of it. I was never productive that way until I had to have a colonoscopy about a month ago. As part of the prep for the colonoscopy, I had to have enemas for 3 days prior. The first day produced stool as predicted, the other days did not.
I went back to a regular diet the next day and have not even had the urge since the enemas, never mind being able to recognize things that I just ate and not having to empty my bag.
Get yourself to your surgeon as soon as you can.
Good luck and keep us posted.
WOUNDED DOE

I also agree with Primeboy......only one exit should be working, not the two....I do hope you speak with your surgeon on this.....let us know how you're doing dear xoxo

christiesdad

Totally agree with what the others said... I'm trying to picture, with the end of your intestine protruding from your tummy, how can you defecate through your rectum?
Baby, something "dang sho ain't right!"
With mine, I couldn't even fart.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
beatrice

Another agree - don't think it should be happening ... "only one door" for sure.

Have replied to a couple of others on another thread about stool from their rectum (after ileo) - and don't understand how this can be 'ok'.

Would like to hear what you found out -- and hope you are feeling well.

hometown

Hello, I have a colostomy for 2 1/2 years and something isn't right as you should not have two working exits. I would agree with all the others, get to your doctor and let him know what is going on. In the beginning, I had the feeling that I had to go from the rectum and explained this to the oncologist, and he said it was phantom rectum, and go sit on the toilet and you fool the rectum into thinking you are going to use it. LOL I did that and it works. Good luck ; Joyce

Lambchop25

Hi. My name is Lynda and I too have had a bowel movement once every year. I had a CT scan with a fluoroscope. They make you drink a milk-like liquid with no taste to track where the fluids are going. Ask your doctor about having that test done to track the liquid's path in your system. That should give you the answers you seek. As for me, they couldn't find anything wrong, so I just have to monitor it. They couldn't find out why I was having a bowel movement as the intestines are no longer attached. I hope you find the answers you seek, mine is still a mystery.