Using Nystatin Powder: Tips and Advice?

Replies
Views
beatrice

Doesn't say (on the Nystatin container - but this product is not solely for ostomates) to use the Cavilon Barrier wipe after.

But when I use the Stomahesive Protective Powder -- I use the Cavilon, otherwise the appliance wouldn't stick of course.

Anyone use the Nystatin powder ... any tips welcomed!

Many thanks,
Bea

mooza

I use the powder around my stoma, that's all, and the No Sting Barrier Wipes for the whole bit of abdomen for pouchy. If I can, I grab a tissue and go outside for a bit of air (sometimes) LOL. Sorry, I wasn't much help, but it's a waste to me to put powder then the barrier wipes... as I say, that's me though. xxx Mooza

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,465 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Hi there, I'm an ileostomy user since 1994 and I have never used nystatin powder around my stoma, only if the skin is excoriated and weeping. I had an ENT nurse say that the best stuff to use is a Q-tip and a mini travel bottle of regular mouthwash to use as an antiseptic wash for around my stoma.

When using the powder around your stoma, wipe it dry to the touch. I apply a small thin line of the powder around the stoma, then I wipe away the excess gently, not removing the ring around your stoma. Then I wipe and clean around the stoma area where the wafer will be sticking, to remove all dust. I then have my wafer ready to apply before the stoma becomes active. Then I use the All Care barrier wipes to wipe on the skin adjacent to the wafer. Then I picture frame with tape for added support.

beatrice

Thanks Mooza and firemandan!

Should have explained a bit better ... it's the whole area under the flange and flange tape that has little red bumps that are super itchy and semi-weeping. I suspect it's a result of too much heat in a steam room/sauna/hot pool.

So what I did yesterday was put on the Nystatin Antifungal powder, then the wipe and let dry (and repeat). This is the routine I was told to use with the Stomahesive Protective Powder (which is great for red skin, slight itchiness, but not for bumps/weeping).

I agree, Mooza, it doesn't seem to make sense to put a powder on and then a wipe. But was told that the wipe doesn't remove the powder, it kinda seals the powder ... and if you didn't use the wipe, the flange wouldn't stick because of the powder.

Anyways, the itchiness is a bit better today. I'll wait 2 or so days and then have a look at the status.

Hubby and I go for a spa day every 6 weeks or so at this place and it's fab. http://www.scandinave.com/en/whistler/ We have a massage and then spend some time enjoying the baths and rooms. Wonder if it just might be too much for the stoma? This is the worst reaction I've had ... prior times, it's been obvious but not as irritated.

Fingers crossed that the powder/wipe works ... so that I'll know I have a solution.

Thanks all,
Bea

stancliff

When I have to use powder for skin issues, I use Cavilon 'No Sting Barrier Film' (3346). I apply the powder then wipe off the excess. I apply the spray then dry by fanning before applying the wafer. I thought the wipe removed too much of the powder.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
beatrice

Thanks! I didn't know the Cavilon came in a spray ... will have to look for it. Makes sense.

Past Member

Bea;

Answers above will help you. As for "itching" in all areas UNDER the flange and tape? Use the Nystatin powder, blow off some excess if any, then SPRAY with Cavilon or Nexcare Liquid SPRAY Bandage. Let dry for 30 seconds or fan for same time. Then put Flange on..
\As for SPA?? YES, your time in the Spa activities will weaken the flange and probably 'sweat' under the tape. Suggest you plan on changing no farther than the next day...

notthatguy

I never use any sort of spray or wipe. I do not even have any.

I find it does not take much powder to be effective and it does not affect my appliance.

If my skin looks a bit irritated then I usually dust a little zinc powder (or caldesene powder) on it and gently wipe off any excess so that you cannot really see it but you can feel it if you run your finger all over. Just enough to barely dust the skin really. If my skin is a bit itchy and irritated then I do the same but use Desenex powder instead.
Neither seem to affect my appliance although I usually do change the appliance sooner anyway just to be sure.

The one time my skin broke down and was weeping (bad leak that was not noticed for a while) I used some of the
Stomahesive
powder and blew off the excess and still had no problem with my appliance although I planned (and did) change my appliance every day or two until my skin was perfect again.

beatrice

So interesting, notthatguy!

Maybe it's my hot-flashing menopausal body... but if I use the Stomahesive powder without a Cavilon wipe... that flange simply does not grip as well and I have to replace within a day or 2 -- instead of my typical 7 to 8 days.

Thanks for the reply,

Bea

mooza

That amazes me people keep the pouch backing on for so long. I take mine off every 2 days. 1 piece ...... 2 piece does my head in. I need freedommmmmmmmmmmmmm hahha

Past Member

Hi, I have dealt with my permanent ileostomy on my own for going on 11 years now. I use the 2-piece Convatec system with the drainable pouches. I have had issues, but I can go most times without changing the flange for upwards of 12 days. Here's my trick for getting the wafer to stick well: I clean the area around my stoma with warm water and no soap, as the soap leaves oil on the skin that will mess with the gripping power of the glue. I use a lightly damp q-tip in a little bit of antiseptic mouthwash to go over the area near the stoma. It cuts down on infection as it's an antifungal. I warm the wafer usually under my arm as I'm getting ready to activate the glue prior to taking the backing off. To date, I have never developed any sores or lesions under or around my stoma.