Distended Stoma

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Caledonia
Hi, I had my stoma re-fashioned due to prolapsing, this was about 3 months ago. It started off where it was much smaller and I felt more confident about my body image, I have to say. But over the last 3 months, it's now huge on the left hand side, the spout.

Just noticed tonight it's getting bigger really. I'm very self-conscious about it and am scared it may prolapse again.

Is there anything I can do to stop it from being so distended?

Thanks.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,086 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

kimmytk

Have you tried an ostomy hernia belt or a support belt?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
spade
I also have the same problem you are having...surgery was 10/7/11..then prolapse 12/21/12
So bad had surgery to put back in 2/1/12. They put meshing in this time...was doing okay...love the new stoma nice and small, but as I started to go about life, and then I did get a bad cold, coughing for 4 weeks...the poor little thing now sticks out about 3-4 inches and is 1-3/4" dia...will go back in when I relax.
Same as you...scared to death it is going to fall all the way out again. I have learned to adjust to it being out so much I am careful that I don't bump it. One good thing is I have very few leaks as the bowel is in the bag.
The hernia belt seems to make it worse, I wear what ostomy people use to swim...it is like a girdle but not as tight during the day. Not much we can do about it, just so it doesn't fall all the way out...can't keep having surgeries to put back. I don't know if there is any sure way to fix our problem. My muscles are shot from 40 years of steroids. Wish I could tell you there is a magic
bullet.