Struggling with Bag Adhesion in Hot Weather! Need Advice!

Replies
Views
gee07
Hello Sophie 96, have just read your post about the heat here in the UK. You don't say which product you are using. If, as you say, the edges of the flange are coming away with the heat, you can get on Scrip, from your doctor, a good product called Salts Secuplast HYDRO SECURITY STRIPS. Product No. SPH1 comes in packs of 30. You can cut them to a more narrow shape if you want or shorter. I do use Micropore Tape 3M PRODUCT NO. 1530/2b, which has been mentioned above. Make sure when you remove your old flange, washer, whatever name you use (as we all have different terms that are used), to clean well. I use Appeel medical adhesive remover wipes. Product No. 3505 comes in a box of 30. By the way, I use Assura flange by Coloplast. Gee. Hope this helps.
gee07

Hello, be positive, and Bilme. You asked if anyone had used or knew about Tincture of Benzoin. I can't believe that anyone would still be using it. When I had my stoma way back in 1971, they did use T.B. to coat the skin for protection, as products were a lot more basic then, unlike today. If your skin is sore or broken, it will sting. I would never use it again. The years I did was a drag, the smell, the sting of it, the brown color stains your skin when applied. With all the very good products on the market now, I wouldn't have thought such an out-of-date application would be useful now. When I recall the stuff we with stomas in those early days used to use, we used to remove the flange with ether, apply T.B., and there was also a silver-type paste that was applied to sore skin to heal it. You couldn't stick anything to it, so you just had to sit with it on for a while without a bag. Glad those days are gone!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,589 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

hockey

Hi!! Geeo7. There are so many different products out there. Each one of us is so different but also so much alike. We try to help each other, but it is really up to the individual. Like I said before, I never had a problem until this year. Same activity that I have been doing - gym, swimming, S.C.U.B.A. diving. Either I have received defective wafers or it is the extreme heat and humid conditions in the northeast. Hockey.

hockey

Some times this is just a real pain in the STOMACH. It used to be, "What a pain in the (ASS)!!!" No more. We all need to sit back, take a deep breath, and say, "OH WELL!!!!" Love to all. Hockey.

gee07

Hi Hockey, yes goes without saying we are all so different yet at the same all so alike. Not too sure what you are trying to say in your post? Are you asking if I think it could be defective wafers or from activities? If so, like anything that is made, there can be rejects. I was having trouble while on holiday in Canada and USA just last September with some faulty bags, where the clip wasn't closing. It was stressful to me even though I have lived with a stoma for a very long time, being too far away from home and USA not having the exact product I was using. I got round it by taping the clip together but wasn't the best thing to have to keep doing away from home. I complained to the company upon my return and they tested the products. They did indeed admit to their products being faulty. The other point, depending on the type of appliance we use can breakdown with the heat but again some are fine in the heat, my current ones I use are but in the past I have used others that didn't like the heat and used to melt. So in that instance, I use strips and tape as I mentioned in my post to Sophie 96. I'm not telling anyone to do this and that but giving suggestions as to how I have done things in the past and today. This forum is a very useful tool for people to find out tips and products that they may never hear about. In the end, it is up to the individual to try things or not too. Gee

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
trudel

Wow, what a lot of useful tips and advice! I'm up here in Birmingham, UK, and had the unusual heat as well. I have a colostomy and I've had no problems. I use Dansac supplies and in two and a half years, I've had no problems with the product. I have used others from time to time but feel safe and comfortable with Dansac. I get my supplies from Fittleworths, who have been excellent and deliver within 48 hours of order. Normally, I get my order within 36 hours. Also, they provide stoma support and advice from qualified people. The main thing is to keep in touch with your stoma nurse, who should help you through any problems. If you don't have one, get in touch with the GP or the hospital where you had your surgery. Your stoma nurse should be one of your best mates. I know it's cooled down a bit now, but you will need plenty of advice and tips in the future, so keep checking this site. They are all great people and really helpful. I've learned a lot from them all. Good luck, Trudel.

gee07

Well Trudel, think we should call each other Snap, as we are both in the Brum area of the UK and I too use Fittleworth and have done so for many years. I'm a bit older than you, though. I also used Dansac for some years up to 05 when I had to change back to Coloplast, as I needed to wear a deep convex product. Good luck! Gee 07

Verdun

I'm in a lot of muscle pain after surgery plus I had septicemia. Why do I ache all over? Can you help me?

trudel

Well Verdun, I've just had a look at your profile but you don't say too much about your situation or how long it's been since your surgery. But after a major trauma to your body and also the complications you had, it's not surprising you're having aches and pains. The body is a wonderful thing, but when it breaks down, it can take a while to get well again. I myself tend to give mine a helping hand by taking good quality supplements (not the cheap ones from the supermarket). All the stuff I have is to try and support the immune system. I also have blood tests once or twice a year to make sure I'm not lacking any vital nutrients. I have had low potassium levels in the past, which can be a problem after bowel surgery, and from experience, you can get some very strange feelings all over the body if potassium levels drop. The best thing to do is see your GP or consultant and get a blood test and start from there. I must admit I do have aches and pains (but don't forget we're not getting any younger). When I do have these feelings, the best thing is to rest. Anyway, all the best to you, and I see you live in a beautiful part of the country. That will be good therapy as well. Trudel

Verdun

I was in a coma for two months and had four operations. I couldn't walk for a long time and wasn't given any physio. The pain is all over my body. My muscles had loads of blood tests and they are all fine. I live on painkillers, including morphine, to try to help it. Doctors are baffled and say it will get better as my body had a really bad trauma. Plus, the septic nearly killed me, but at least I am still here. Glad to talk to a fellow sufferer. It does help.

Bilme

BePositive. Well, I bought the CTB, now as I understand it, I put it directly on clean, dry skin. Do I allow it to dry before I put the flange over the stoma? Do you, or can you, add paste around the stoma? What is the procedure, how much do you use? Mine is a liquid compound....was yours a liquid or paste compound? Thanks for the help. I live in Rio de Janeiro where it's always hot or humid.

The Irish

Hello love, this might sound rather odd and I have had to do this many times, but I've used spray-on adhesive, construction grade, and duct tape. It's a bit harsh and painful for the faint, and I too, being from Ireland now in Arizona, know your problem all too well. If you don't try my method, at least know some poor bastard has and have a laugh. Good luck and cheers.

hometown

I just had to reply to the comment about you jumping rope. I wish I could do that, but my stoma bag hangs down one half of my thigh and I am laughing as I imagine me jumping rope with a bag of liquid stool hanging that low. Thanks for the chuckle, Hometown.

Primeboy

Well, why don't you just jump rope after you empty the bag. Nothing is written.
    PB
WOUNDED DOE

Well, why don't you just jump rope after you empty the bag. Nothing is written.
    PB        

Hometown I am getting a cackle off your statement too ....Naaah! Don't empty your pouch first, leaving it with something in there would give it some rhythmic sound percussion while you jump rope! HA!!!! ...... Like the Theatrics of STOMP!! ......LOL! ........if I were you I'd have fun with that .......lmao    ........make fun out of anything you can, lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7136_Tlg1w

Primeboy

Great clip, Doe. Every pot, pan, and pail in our house has scores of dents from the time our teenage Gene Krupa and his band of noise makers did the Stomp. Whatever they could smack with a stick was a fair target for their obsessive percussive behavior. I am glad I had the car at work.

PB

Funnyguy

Hi Sophie96, one tip is to ask your supplier or local stoma nurse if they can supply you with a bag that has a larger wafer. Apparently, there are many different types to choose from. Generally speaking, if you have a bag with a larger wafer, then you have more of an adhesive area sticking to your skin. Ask your stoma nurse if she can give you some different bags to try.

Funnyguy

mara727

I found Stoma Seal. A friend is a cop and he swears by it. Costamedical.org. It makes everything stick. I wear it under and over wafer. They gave me a discount too.

mara727

I found Stoma Seal. A friend is a cop and he swears by it. Costamedical.org. It makes everything stick. I wear it under and over wafer. They gave me a discount too.