Enemas

In this discussion
Replies
Views
macsac1

I had a weird experience last week. I put on a bag and used a ring to help it stay on. Apparently, the opening in the ring was a little too small and caused a blockage. Nothing was going into the bag, not even liquid. So I changed bags and tried to get myself regular by drinking apple juice, lots of water, and eating Activia. Anyway, I was wondering if it is possible to use a Fleet enema or suppository in a stoma. Has anyone tried this? The directions on both say for rectal use only. I was afraid that the intestine could be punctured since a stoma is not surrounded by muscle like the rectum is.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,097 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

iMacG5
There are lots of brilliant people here and some irrigate.  They might offer some advice.  Before I inserted ANYTHING in my stoma I would consult with my surgeon or ostomy nurse.  Please do that.

Respectfully,

Mike
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Bill
Hello macsac1.  Mike has given some good advice - I usually consult my ostomy nurse about this sort of stuff as she is very helpful.  I did not know what a Fleet enema was so I've Googled it. The bottle applicator seems like a bit of hard plastic and I would be wary of sticking such a thing in my stoma. There are other types of enama that come in suppository form and are made of a gelatine substance. I cannot see that these would cause any harm to the walls of the intestine.  I do irrigate and have no hestitation in inserting the Colopast soft-rubber cone which is designed to use in the stoma. The cone shape helps to seal the stoma so that the liquid does not escape before the water has it's done its job.  However, As I understand it, irrigation is usually only recommended for those with a colostomy and as you have not indicated what you have I would caution against any form of irrigation (including enemas) without seeking  professional advice first.

Best wishes Bill