Tips for Dealing with Work Issues

Replies
Views
Penguins7

Hi Ed, I also use the baby oil in the pouch but heard from my stoma nurse that the oil is not good for wafers? What have you heard about the baby oil. I only get 2 days on a wafer with my ileostomy. But it sure works well for getting the bag empty. Take care. Rod

Anoniem18

I used to use the Eakin ring, but now I use Coloplast 2mm rings. They are cheaper and don't make as much of a mess. I also use Coloplast Brava elastic tape, which costs $32 for 20. Then, as appropriate, I use various forms of medical or athletic tape. After a week, I change the flange, otherwise the skin gets too irritated. So, if the baby oil is a problem for the wafer, I haven't encountered it. I had a period during the summer of less than a week, otherwise I can make it last more than a week. It's all about experimentation. I posted quite an extensive post elsewhere.

Ed

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,465 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Highlander15

Thanks so much for the reply. The job did not work out. I must try to find something working at home, I guess. Mouthwash, eh? How do I use that? I am guessing not in the regular way. :)

garfish

Love those Brava half moon tapes. Get an easy week with them. What paste do you use?

garfish

There's no reason not to do what you want. Do what you love and you'll always love what you do. Control your stoma, don't let it control you. Control what you eat, when you eat, then you can get to the point of realizing you can control your body or what's left of it. I can, you can.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Highlander15

Yes, I have developed a thick skin. But what do you do when people talk about you to your face in a group and spray air freshener in your face. It is not that I don't take care, but after a few hours, I imagine there is some kind of odor. And it can be a lonely life. I have a good job but am apprehensive about the future and working. Thanks so much for replying. I do appreciate it.

klark

For odor... mouthwash is a very good tip!! I also use 2 or 3 Tic Tac breath mints, just drop them in your pouch. The white ones LOL!! You're usually the first person to detect any odors, so when you do, a couple drops of your perfume (after shave in my case) on the outside of your clothing will mask it for a while. After all you've been through... Don't be apprehensive... Be confident!! Keep your chin up!!

Anoniem18

If somebody would be so crude as to say something derogatory in public, then the best defense is to attack. Didn't your mother teach you any manners?
Try to spray air freshener into my face and you can expect a punch in the face. He/she attacked me (using air freshener), so I defended myself.
I am still the same person (maybe more obnoxious due to age), and while I have had some guys hide their face in their sweater while we were in the washroom, they accept that the smell is more pungent due to the ileostomy. And I explain that I can go to the washroom while standing up.

Ed

Highlander15

Yes, that really happened and more than once, and in a hospital where I was working! If I was not a contractor there, as opposed to an employee, I would have taped the conversations and taken the matter to a lawyer. I am thinking maybe I should take someone like you along to settle the matter there and then - lol - M

gutenberg
I'm afraid there are many obnoxious assholes in this world and I agree with Ed, attack instantly, in my case I'd be willing to bet the person who would make that kind of insult to me would hear a form of cursing and profound attack they would think twice about ever doing such an ignorant thing again. It's bad enough putting up with the battle we went through to land in this position and then have some twit comment, OK, now its my turn, I suggest you place your hands over your crotch, get it? Ed
Primeboy

No one is going to win a pissing contest with a skunk, High. So, why don't you just make an appointment with the hospital's CEO, explain these incidents, and ask him or her if this type of behavior represents the core values of the hospital. Your role as a contractor does not mean you must tolerate a truly hostile work environment. Good luck, and don't let the bastards get you down.
    PB
Highlander15

I thought about taking it to the boss or further, but we worked hard to get into that hospital (collecting research). It would have meant I would have had to be laid off. I am going back to work and will be traveling up and down the East Coast. I hope it will go well. But first and foremost, I have a lot of gratitude that I am still alive. I had a very high-grade cancer. I am also proud of the fact that I am trying to earn a living and make my own way in spite of everything. We all know here that it is not easy. And so, I feel above all of the hurt. -M

Primeboy
That's one assumption you cannot reasonably make in these days of political correctness. I imagine that the culprit (1) would at least be on the hospital's radar, (2) may have to attend sensitivity training, and (3) may not be all that popular with colleagues who witnessed the abuse. There should be zero tolerance for this kind of abuse. Higher ups are now held accountable for the miscreant behavior of subordinates. Just ask Chris Christie. Hit them where it hurts...them, not yourself.
    PN
Anoniem18

You could tell them to go and indulge in self-fornication. Or go forth and multiply.
As a last resort, warn them that you have a bag full of different options.

Ed
Highlander15

You would not believe how thick a skin I have. I really feel above it all. Nothing like having your body cut up to put life in perspective.

Mrs.A
Hi Highlander,
I am sorry that you have had to put up with the ignorance of some people. And it is great that you have thick skin because there always seems to be ignorant people who like to remain ignorant.
I live on the east coast as well, here in the U.S. and I have found a really good deodorant called Pure Drop. I get it from my local Walmart, usually find it in the toilet tissue aisle on a hanging strip in the aisle. If you don't see it, ask. It is what they call an item that is carried by Department 82, which is an impulse item department. A manager could point you to the department manager who takes care of those items. I have tried to research it online but it is in a company that sells about 3,000 items and seems easier to just go to Walmart. Here is a link to show you what to look for, but it is only sold in the stores, not on their website.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pure-Drop-Toilet-Odor-Eliminator-0.67-fl-oz/23598032

Copy this number down and take it with you to a Walmart associate to find this item in the store: 0004288741186

It is not meant to be used in your pouch, but I have used it in the pouch and in the toilet. I do not keep it in the pouch when I am going to sleep because gravity will send it to the stoma and I don't know if it is harmful. I rinse my pouch out every night before I lay down to rest.
When you put a drop in the toilet then empty it, it coats the water so the smell doesn't leave the toilet and fill the room.
I have also rinsed my pouch with mouthwash and it does leave a cleaner smell than not using something. I have also heard that liquid fabric softener in the pouch helps with odor.
Well, enough said by me.
Highlander15

Thanks so much for writing, these are good things to know. I wish my doctor or the nurse would have ideas like this. But that is the beauty of this site, seems like you have to be a sufferer to know how to alleviate suffering.
Yes, I have developed a thick skin. I met a woman in the hospital who committed suicide after a colostomy and rejection by her husband. I thought about the situation, and I decided that would not be me.

Anoniem18

I guess if you swallow it.
Just a bit in the pouch,
Ed
Seanna

Hi...for odor, I have found that M9 drops work the best. It comes in small or large bottles. I just add drops to my bag every time I empty it when I am out or working. I don't bother with it at home. I even keep a bottle at my brother's for when I stay with him. I find Ziplock baggies work the best when I have to change my flange somewhere other than home. I also find baby wipes work well for cleanup when I blow a flange.

klark

I use the Hollister Adapt Lubricant and Deodorant in my pouches.

It works great but if I run out or run low on the Adapt... a little bit of

Listerine and 2 or 3 Tic Tac breath mints in the pouch works too.