Alternative lubricants for drainable pouches?

Replies
Views
Ngaire

Hello all.

I use baby oil to lubricate my drainable pouch. But I am finding that the drainable end does not last the distance, though the rest of the pouch is okay. I am sure this is because of the baby oil. I have used Hollister Adapt, but the price here in NZ is not good and I seem to have to use quite a bit of it. Do any of you out there have any ideas? I have a colostomy and use a one-piece drainable. Eakin Pelican, which is good in all other ways (as far as pouches go)! Many thanks.

megalyman

Why not try a two-piece setup? If the bag gets a bit worn, you could pop it off and put on another bag without removing the wafer and causing more skin irritation. You can also try using M9 made by Hollister. I tried using Adapt but it didn't do much for odor control (maybe I'm just a stinky guy). With both of them, you have to use more drops than they say. I use the M9 every time I empty the bag. I use a two-piece.

Don

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,480 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Ngaire

Thanks for your reply, megalyman. Ah! Two pieces. I tried them. No success at all, I'm afraid. They came off, which wasn't great. I may have tried the wrong brand. M9 I do use (like you) every time I empty the pouch. They work as far as odor goes but not lubricating. Ngaire.

xnine

There was a post by Shitzengiggles on the topic of baby oil. I found it interesting. Maybe helpful.

Ngaire

Thanks for your reply Xnine. Interesting article. I notice there was another person having trouble with their pouch breaking down with baby oil. My next step is to try the Hollister Adapt mixed with the water. If it works, at least it will be more economical! Everything is worth trying, thanks.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member

Do you have ileostomy or colostomy? My solution for pancaking stool that would not drop into bag was learning how to irrigate. Zero stool output for 24-36 hours.

megalyman

Do you use a belt with the two-piece? It is virtually impossible for the bag to come off if it is tightly snapped on and the belt is tight enough. The belt attaches directly to the bag and not the wafer.

Don

Ngaire

Hello. Yes, I have a colostomy. Pancaking!! I could write a book on it. It's a nightmare! I seem to have it all the time. Good luck with your irrigating. I have been tempted to try but am concerned (what I read) about the time it takes? Ngaire.

Ngaire

Hi Don. I just don't fancy wearing a belt. And my one-piece Pelican does stay on very well. As "irrigationthebest" points out, I think one of my main problems is pancaking! Ngaire.

megalyman

I have an ileostomy not a colostomy so that might be the difference. I am liquid all the time.

Don

Ngaire

Yes, you won't have the pancaking problems, but no doubt you probably have others. Cheers. Ngaire.

Homie With A Stomie NS
Reply to megalyman

Hi Don, it's true that mostly liquid here as well with ileostomy, but I do have pancaking depending on the menu....