Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,328 members

Disability as weakness??

Posted by honeybee, on Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:39 pm
hey guys,
i just have a question about interview questions.
would you disclose your disability/disease as a weakness when the question about weaknesses and strenghts is coming up?

i know you have to disclose it when it will affect the job, which is not the case here.
but in general?
its not even for a job interview, its for a graduate programme...
or is it better to shut up?
maybe its a stupid question but i ve never had an interview before so i have no clue Wink
Reply by beyondpar, on Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:49 pm
I am so proud of my Osotmy I tell everyone.......In fact its the exact opposite of a disability.  Having had U. C. for 24 yrs was a disability....the  Ostomy has saved, given,enhanced,helped,changed mylife so much for the better that I feel sorry for those that dont have one....LOL........Stay well and god luck...Michael
Gus
Reply by Gus, on Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:26 pm
I have been a truckie for over 20 years,, the last 3few years with a stoma. Admittedly to get the job I didnt tell them I had one but I always did after the fact. Basically my explanation is that I have a front bum and I,m no different to anyone else. It's up to you if you disclose it but if you treat it more as an ability than a disability then the choice could be made easier. ood luck with the interview.

p.S. I had to post a serious answer cos I got dumped on last time I didn't
Reply by gutenberg, on Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:59 pm
Come on now Gus, I can't imagine anyone dumping on you, Hehe. But on a serious note you gentlemen did a hell of a job with those last two posts. And, being a trucker with A stoma, well that's something else, many a time I've helped truckies unload tons of paper and I can't imagine doing so with a stoma, even tho I learned how to lift properly , but not knowing I had an aneurysm ready to blow, so really the Heart Attack saved my Life.
Kudos Michael and Gus.
Reply by Maryallison, on Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:52 pm
This is just me because I am obssessive-compulsive about telling the truth so I would probably mention the ileostomy.  (My telling is actually more of a problem than a virtue).  Each individual has to do what feels right in the situation he or she is in.  Different jobs might affect the choice of to tell or not to tell differently.  I find that when people know what I have been through they go into a very real "sympathy mode" although I know I don't ask for it.  I think most people who have never experienced colon troubles think that ostomies are the worst things that could happen to them.  But we know that the quality of our lives has been greatly enhanced.  I certainly hope that no one would be discriminated due to their ostomy situation.
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:17 pm
I don't see my illeostomy as a disability at all!!
Beyondpar expresses it so GREAT--I wouldn't go back and have this reversed if I could..having had Crohns for 20 years and being a prisoner to that porcelen throne (?)
NO WAY!!!!  I am a GLADBAGGER!!!!

Sandee
Reply by m-fran21, on Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:00 am
you don t need to disclose your condition go for job career nad dont look back oyu are not consider a disable person
cee
Reply by cee, on Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:04 pm
Hi,
     I am also in the position of looking for work at present.  I have not disclosed my ostomy and don't think I would as I do not consider myself disabled.  I agree with beyondpar that my life is much better now then the suffering I had before the bag.  I don't wave it from the roof however.  Of course, when I am offered a job there will be the issue of disclosing before insurance kicks in.  They may disqualify me and then the employer would know.  If it doesn't affect job performance I can't see that it is their business.  Good luck!
Reply by eddie, on Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:09 pm
I don't consider it a disability,  I work as a nurse and often lift patients and pull to turn them .   the only thing I try to do is use my shoulder muscles and tighten my abdomenal muscle to protect my ileo from getting a hernia.  I often share that I do have and ostomy to help other patients to cope and understand that it usually will not limit them..  I also share my cancer struggles to help give hope when they are very fearful.  I think just share whatever you are comfortable with
eddie
Reply by weewee, on Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:17 pm
i know in my case i have to tell them up front cause i got stuck with a 20 lb weight limit and i am prone for hernias since i have them before i got the bag and i dont get to do the 5 minute change like most lucky baggers so that is time away from work in short depends if you had restrictions and you dont tell them you had surgies they can say you falsified your app and not responsible if you get hurt even tho they are jobs try and think they are God and its your choice to say what you have no matter what anyone says the bottom line is still your choice to tell
Reply by tiger227, on Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:09 pm
Hi

I agree with your sentiments excacly, I almost lost my life when my bowel ruptured, and I thank God I am alive and not pushing up the daisy's.

I count my blessings that I don't pass out when going to the loo.

It took a very long time to recover, and I considered a reversal, but after taking the advice of my surgeon decided not to have it reversed.

I do not affect my life at all, I go swimming and do whatever I did before sugery.

My health have improved and I am no longer in constant stomack cramp pain.

A possitive mental attitude is the best advice I can give, I am so grateful to be alive.

So glad you are doing the same.

Jean
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.