Need Info on Laparoscopic Ileostomy Pouch Form + Proctectomy/ Panproctocolectomy

Replies
Views
Katerina.kits

Hi everyone,

I am new here. I have had UC for 12 years now, though 6 of them have been in remission. On a routine colonoscopy, low-grade dysplasia was found. After 6 months, it was decided I needed to have a 'laparoscopic ileostomy pouch form + proctectomy/panproctocolectomy' (quoted from letter). If anyone can shed any light on what that actually means, I will be very grateful. I'm under the impression I'm having everything removed with a temp ileostomy so I can have the reversal at any date. I have my pre-op tomorrow, so will ask lots of questions there too. I'm just looking for info on what it's like pre and post-op. I have spoken to lots of people who have also had it done, but most have had a bad recovery or complications. Has anyone had a good experience? xx

Bill

Hello Katerina. Thanks for your post and i hope you get lots of replies from people who have had good outcomes. Whenever I get medical terms sent ot me in letters I immediately Google it to see if I can get a more coherent, yet expert explanation.

Don't be put off by the many problems people write about because many people dont' have any problems at all - so they don't feel the need to seek help and support by posting on the internet.

I have been reading posts for some time now and there are lots of people who come out of these operations with a much more positive experience than when they went in. It is a steep learning curve and I can only hope that yours will eventually turn out to be positive for you

Best wishes

and good luck

Bill. 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,468 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Katerina.kits

Thank you, Bill, for your reply. I look forward to hearing more xx

Ewesful

Bill is right on about the comments. I wish you the best and take notes to read afterwards -- you will be so happy and you may not even want a reversal!

Keep us posted and prayers are offered for you. :)

Katerina.kits

Thanks. Had my surgery. 5.5 hours and finished at 3.30 pm. I must be really dosed up and I can't feel much pain, just a bad back! Thanks guys xxx

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Bill

Hello Katerina.  I hope everything went well. When you feel a bit better I hope you will let us know that it was successful.

Best wishes

Bill

Katerina.kits

Hi Bill. Everything went well, thanks, and to plan with Keyhole. I can't get comfortable at night, so I end up with a bad back all day. The pain today is probably the worst it's been since Wednesday, so I'm taking paracetamol, tramadol, and ibuprofen. Xx

Bill

Hello Katarina. Thanks for coming back to us.

Like all post-op periods, it will take some time to settle down. It sounds as if everything will be fine in time so don't forget to let us know when everything is back to normal as it is important for people to hear about the good stuff as well as all the problems.

Best wishes

Bill 

Katerina.kits

Hi everyone. I am home today, 6 days post-op. Very tired and not much energy. I also have a urinary infection so it's taking it out of me! Xz

Bassam

Welcome back. I consider it a new beginning. A new life you got. You will get back to normal after removing stitches. I have been through this when I made the reversal and failed, and then went back again to the pouch.

Bill

Hello Katarina.

Tiredness is understandable after an operation and often people have infections because the process makes them much more vulnerable. However, this is a phase that soon passes and I hope that you make a full recovery soon.

Best wishes

Bill

Past Member

Hi, hope you're okay. I had a bad back for a while after and very weak, but strength soon came back. I'm going through a bad patch at the minute, but still glad I got the operation. Keep fighting!

Mrs.A

Take one day at a time, our bodies take their time healing so everything will come in due time. Hope you're feeling better today, we're thinking of you and sending good thoughts and prayers your way!