Help for chemo neuropathy

Replies
Views
Hermit

Have neuropathy in both feet. Tried gabapentin and it didn't work. Any suggestions?

DonBrown1943

Honestabe, I have neuropathy in my left leg and I believe it is spreading to my right. I had it for years before the colostomy so they are not related. I also take gabapentin, but it is controlling early onset of Parkinson's quite well. The neuropathy isn't causing too many problems so I just ignore it.

You said you live in Norman. Many years ago I was the pastor of a church called Maguire Baptist Church outside of Noble. Before that, I had attended Oklahoma University for three years. I have fond memories of Norman.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,316 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Hermit

Tks for reply. Both my feet are always numb. Very familiar with Noble. Good luck. God Bless.

Mrs.A

I had this when I was getting chemo treatments. It went away after the treatments were done in a few weeks.

Hope it goes away when your done your treatments too.

Hermit

Tsk for reply. Steve

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Newbie Dana

This is an ongoing issue with me as well. It actually started a few months AFTER my chemo was complete. It is called ideopathic neuropathy when there is the time disconnect between the cause and the effect. I also was on 900 mg/day of gabapentin with no noticeable effect. My neurologist prescribed a topical compounded cream called Neurocream, which is 10 ketamine, 6 gabapentin, 5 lidocaine, 2 amitryptyline, 2 bupivacaine in some sort of transparent cream base. Use an amount about the size of a pea on each foot. I started out needing it about 5-6 times per day, and slowly it came down to only 1-2 times per day. It is somewhat expensive (on the order of 1 per gram), but 120 g generally lasts me now about 3 months. It isn't covered by my insurance because it is formulated, but it is SO worth it! I don't think I could live - certainly not function - without it!

You might want to mention that to your neurologist or whatever doctor you are seeing. It certainly made a big difference for me, and being topical it didn't cause the side-effects that taking the gabapentin orally did.

NotDeadYet

I have neuropathy from cancer chemo. My friend has it from diabetes, my Dad has it from gout.

You might not cure it, but PLEASE rub your feet with moisturiser every night. Loretta found a rusty nail in her foot, I found a piece of broken glass in mine. . . . guard your feet, and massage them often.

Hermit

Tks. Will start!