Finally Slept Through the Night! Celebrating a Leak-Free Morning!

Replies
Views
DonBrown1943

Not a question, simply a comment. My colostomy was created on October 3, 2016. Other than while the hospital had me drugged, I haven't slept through the night since then. I wake up about 3 times per night to go to the bathroom and/or to empty the bag. For the very first time, I slept through the night last night! It felt so wonderful to wake up, stretch and yawn, and be ready for the day! My bag was full, but it hadn't leaked. As another ostomate put it, it was being stress tested. Thank God it passed the test! Then, after changing the bag and washing my face, my wife helped me celebrate! Life is good and today is going to be a good day!

Bill

Congratulations Don. It must feel good to have a good night's sleep without interruptions. I can't remember the last time that happened for me but the reason is not the stoma !
Best wishes

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,468 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

DonBrown1943

Thanks, Bill.

Xerxes

I am not sure if you are aware, but there are high-output appliances that you can use which would certainly help you get through the night, i.e., not having to get up to empty. Hopefully, you'll get through with uninterrupted sleep.

X_

iMacG5

The last time I slept through the night was in the winter of 1987.  Or was it 1977?  Getting up 4 times to pee is about normal for me.  My urologist says that's OK.  It's OK for him because it's me getting up 4 times while he's sound asleep.  

Respectfully,

Mike

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
DonBrown1943

I know how that goes, Mike. Ordinarily, I get up at least three times to pee. Occasionally, my stoma decides to do a gut flush one of those times. Once in a long while, I get to sleep through the night, and I always feel like celebrating.

Jellybean82

That's great that you had a night's interrupted sleep. I can't remember the last time I had a full night's sleep, even when I was drugged up in hospital and had an overnight bag for my urostomy and a high output bag for ileostomy as I'm that used to waking up to check them. But I have gotten the art of falling back asleep to a fine art.

DonBrown1943

My problem is that I can't go back to sleep for an hour or more. An interruption is a serious disturbance and 2 or 3 of them can ruin a night.

Mrs.A

I hope you have many more good nights with uninterrupted sleep. You can also count your blessings that you are awakened to your body's needs, it sure beats waking up to a mess!

Xerxes

Gsoll53,

I use the two-piece Convatec system (ileostomy). Convatec has a high output drainable pouch. Of course, the item number will depend on the size of the stoma. So, it's best to call Convatec and they will gladly answer any of your questions. Here's the number that I have for them: 405-898-8521. I know that they will provide you with samples that will help you make a decision. They are most helpful. Good luck.

X_