Dealing with Contoured Stomas and Frequent Bag Changes

Replies
Views
G-ma 1053

I have contours around my stoma. My stoma is an innie, not an outie, so I use a barrier ring. I change my bag every 24 hours, which is better than the last product they had me using, but still, it's a lot of changing. Does anyone else have this problem, and have you solved it?

w30bob

Hi G-ma,

So starting with the basics... are you using a convex barrier? Which barrier are you using? The Sensura Mio Convex isn't convex. I found that out when I looked at my samples they just sent me. The overall shape is convex, but not the area surrounding your stoma... which is what people normally call convex. You say you're using a barrier ring... which one? They come in different thicknesses. Are you using just one... or are you stacking two together? Or do you use pieces of the second ring to fill in the low spots in your skin? C57 mentioned paste... do you use the paste with your barrier to help fill in the low spots in your skin before you put the ring and barrier on? Let us know what you're using specifically. Have you seen an ostomy nurse? Your problem should be fairly routine to them, and even if there isn't one near... they can still set up a Tele-appointment via your laptop or tablet and you can show or describe to them what's going on.

There are folks on here that change every day. I change every other. It's certainly not ideal, but not the end of the world either. Ostomy products are expensive, so if your insurance doesn't cover them... it really sucks.

Regards,

Bob

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,485 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

MBT

Have you tried a convex pouch? It might help.

Mark1070

I'd check with a good WOCN. All the recommendations above should be considered. I'll add, try a supplemental adhesive as well, like Torbot or SkinTac.

G-ma 1053

I use flat. The convex did not work. I'm doing much better now. The last two have lasted two days. I use one barrier ring from Hollister, and we've discovered a way to make it fit my stoma better so the poo goes over and into the bag. I love all the suggestions from everyone; it has been helpful. I went to the wound care nurse today, and she said things are going much better. The problem was I tried to tell them the convex wasn't working, they did not send a belt, but no one would listen, and they wouldn't bring me the flat ones. I now have everything I need, and things are going much better. Thank you.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
G-ma 1053

Yes, and it did not work.    

Past Member

Hi G'ma,

The lower half of my stoma is sunk inward and I use the convex 89511 one-piece Hollister with half a 7805 adapt barrier ring on the low side below my stoma and it works well. I usually get 6-7 days out of it.

Glad you're finding answers that work. Keep us posted.

w30bob

Hi G,

Glad to hear things are going better. It's nice to have some breathing room so you can collect your thoughts and think it through. Let us know how it goes!!

Regards,

Bob