J-Pouch or Colostomy: Seeking Insights on My Dilemma

Replies
Views
mdq58

Lovely post.

This jpouch/pull-through surgery was still fairly experimental when I had my surgery in 1976. I had the standard ileostomy surgery, though my parents tried to talk me out of it. I was 18 thought how good will this new procedure be in 10, let alone 41. I've never looked back and like you, I've led an active life. Ostomy products have improved dramatically since 1976.

Mike Q

Taradale

Hi there, thanks for your write-up....

I'm going through the process of trying to get 'best-fit' for my ileostomy....tried several combinations and still having seepages.....it's been 8 months now. I've had two formed. The first one was too sunk in, and so after 4 months, he made it into a better one....but alas, this has retracted back to quite flat. I wear convex and ring, but still, bags only last a day without stinging and leaking. Good to hear your positive outlook.

Wendy x

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,454 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Mr. Seeker.... Could I possibly ask you a few questions about ostomy armor.... It's a brand I'm considering, just not sure if it works with my two-piece Hollister...

Gene

VeritasSeeker, I see you are a commercial pilot. I'm guessing you fly helicopters based on your location and past. I'm wondering if you have any advice on flying with your ostomy bag? I'm an EMS guy, a former military. I got hit with colon cancer a couple of years back. Recovery is going in the right direction, and I was hoping to get SI medical and get back to work. I'm apprehensive about seat belts, vibrations, altitude changes, etc. Any advice would be appreciated.

JudiA

Hello to you.

Sorry for your suffering, but you kept your J-pouch a lot longer than I. I had it for about a year and was just as miserable as with UC. Urgency, bleeding (I actually became anemic), cramping, and the smell!!! I have had several revisions since as well and had to have my bladder reconstructed twice due to scar tissue from the pouch. It has been a bumpy road for me, and a divorce is pending. Before returning to Arizona 4+ years ago, I lived in far Northern California - almost to the Oregon border in a tiny community called Happy Camp. Just this last October, half the town burned in a very tragic fire. So here I am in the central mountains of AZ wondering what I am supposed to do with my life NOW.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister